SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking at getting a gel seat for my 2003 e model and was wondering if they changed anything on the seats that would make them not work on mine from 06 to 09? here is the part number 99950-62175 thanks for your help the factory e seat isnt comfortable.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Most people who have bought a gel seat for their DZR, including me, found out it is a waste of money & not really much more comfortable then the stock seat. Corbin makes a better seat.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Or Seat Concepts. way cheaper then the Corbin. Used the oem seat pan, so you gotta install it yourself. No biggie tho. It transformed my bike.

This is the one thats supposed to be stock height. It still thicker tho. Fyi.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I Second the Seat Concepts Seat. 6 hour long rides no problem on the Butt. With the OEM seat I'd be done after an hour.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

When I purchased my 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM on January 2011, it came with the "Gel Seat".

It looked very nice but after riding the bike for 20-30 minutes, it proved to be kind of hard and poorly
designed because it's not flat or roundish but crowned in the middle, which makes your bottom hurt.

So I did a lot of research to see what other seat options were available and I found out that many
companies make custom seats but they were too expensive in my opinion. My next step was to buy a
a used, "stock seat" and I found one on ebay for about $40. This seat was actually a little better than
the "gel seat" but still, after riding on it for about 30 minutes or so, it made my bottom feel sore.

I did some research again and saw on Youtube that some guys showed how to re-upholster a seat and
I knew that if they could do it, I could do it too. I purchased an upholstery stapler and staples from
Home Depot for $13, then I purchased some generic foam (softer than the stock seat foam) and last
night, I re-covered the seat (see photos). The gap in the middle of the seat foam is because I have
a medical condition called chronic prostatitis and making the seat foam this way, relieves the pressure/ pain.

I also added some extra foam to the "passenger" seat section and it's more comfy now.

In all, I spent about $28 for the foam and tools ($40 for the stock seat) and I really like how it turned out.
It may not have been professionally installed but it looks good in my opinion and the foam is not too soft
or too hard. I can't wait for the weekend to give it a try.

Basically I have the money to buy a new Corbin, Seat Concepts, Renazco, etc. but I'm all against spending
money on anything that is "unreasonably expensive".

I'll let you know how comfortable my "new" seat is, until then... have a great day :)

supermoto-fan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello,

When I purchased my 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400SM on January 2011, it came with the "Gel Seat".

It looked very nice but after riding the bike for 20-30 minutes, it proved to be kind of hard and poorly
designed because it's not flat or roundish but crowned in the middle, which makes your bottom hurt.

So I did a lot of research to see what other seat options were available and I found out that many
companies make custom seats but they were too expensive in my opinion. My next step was to buy a
a used, "stock seat" and I found one on ebay for about $40. This seat was actually a little better than
the "gel seat" but still, after riding on it for about 30 minutes or so, it made my bottom feel sore.

I did some research again and saw on Youtube that some guys showed how to re-upholster a seat and
I knew that if they could do it, I could do it too. I purchased an upholstery stapler and staples from
Home Depot for $13, then I purchased some generic foam (softer than the stock seat foam) and last
night, I re-covered the seat (see photos). The gap in the middle of the seat foam is because I have
a medical condition called chronic prostatitis and making the seat foam this way, relieves the pressure/ pain.

I also added some extra foam to the "passenger" seat section and it's more comfy now.

In all, I spent about $28 for the foam and tools ($40 for the stock seat) and I really like how it turned out.
It may not have been professionally installed but it looks good in my opinion and the foam is not too soft
or too hard. I can't wait for the weekend to give it a try.

Basically I have the money to buy a new Corbin, Seat Concepts, Renazco, etc. but I'm all against spending
money on anything that is "unreasonably expensive".

I'll let you know how comfortable my "new" seat is, until then... have a great day :)

supermoto-fan

Bummer! I was going to test my "new'' seat this weekend (the weather was perfect) and my battery
was dead. I purchased a new battery last night, will have to wait a few more days to test my seat :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello again,
I had a chance to try my "new" modified seat and I loved it!! It is now much more comfortable and
allowed me to ride for over an hour with no pain or real discomfort. On top of that, without thinking,
I made the seat foam lower (about an inch). Even at average height (5' 8") I can reach the ground
better now when stopping. I'm very happy of how it turned out and of how much I saved compared
to buying one those overpriced seats. If I was able to do it, I'm sure you could too ;)
Supermoto-fan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.