SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have been a lurker on here since I was about to buy my first bike. I was trying to decide between and sport bike and SM.. Ended up picking up a 600rr and now I kind of wish I would have waited to find a SM instead.
So now I'm curious, a buddy of mine is selling an 06 450smr for a really decent price considering it has under 4 hours on it.. and I've ridden his 690 smc enough to realize that I want a SM. It looks like it will be about $2000 plus labour to convert this to street legal up here in BC. But I'm a little hesitant since it's technically a race bike and I want to use it as a daily rider. I have a couple questions (and I'm sure more later) for all of you. First and foremost:

1) How reliable is it as a street bike? Since it would be my only bike and I would hate to have to work on it more then I ride it. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but I know I would have to buck up and learn to work on it.

2) How often and how much $$$ wise would maintenance be for this? I ride a fair amount since I'm still newer and love to get out every chance I can.

3)Once it has the proper gearing in it what would the top speed be like? There's plenty of fun twisty highways around here. I'm not nutty in speed but I would like to know if I could keep up with people on sport bikes in a group ride type thing.

4) How many km's/mi's do you get out of a tank on the highway.

That's all I can think of for now.. your input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought an 07 smr(450) about 2 months ago, I love It! I plated mine so i could ride it on the street. I dont have a speedo so i dont know how far i can go on a tank but if i guessed I would say about 80 miles if your ''commuting"different story if you want to have fun. I put the trail tech sumo kickstand, trail tech stator kit and a Ufo headlight kit. I work at dealer so the state inspection part was easy. As far as maintaining it....I have put about 1000 miles on it so far and changed the oil 4 or 5 times and adjusted the valves 2 times thus far. Top speed is around 100ish i think. Im geared 14/45. If you want reliability then get a drz400sm, I put 18,000 miles on mine and never had an issue with it. The smr is just alot more fun!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't understand the fascination of turning a race bike into a street bike.
The smr is an MX bike with 17's and a six speed tranny.
manual calls for oil changes and valve adjustments every 15 hrs.
Total tear downs called for every 45 hrs.

As a daily driver i can't think of a worse bike than a plated 450smr. As a second or third bike for short blasts around twisty roads it would work fine.
The bike is uncomfortable and vibrates like, well, a race bike.

100 mph is possible, however, the bike at that speed will be very "twitchy" (can you say head-shake?). You won't be able to hang with your sport bike buddies if speeds go into triple digits.

2k to convert to street trim? Around here you can buy a low mileage used drz for 3000 (or less) all day long.
I'd say find a 690 smc, husky 610, or drz and ride the wheels off it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah yeah I appreciate the advice.. that's kind of what I've found from reading around for the past couple days. Thanks guys!

i love the husky 610....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't understand the fascination of turning a race bike into a street bike.
The smr is an MX bike with 17's and a six speed tranny.
manual calls for oil changes and valve adjustments every 15 hrs.
Total tear downs called for every 45 hrs.

As a daily driver i can't think of a worse bike than a plated 450smr. As a second or third bike for short blasts around twisty roads it would work fine.
The bike is uncomfortable and vibrates like, well, a race bike.

I also have a gsxr1000, speed triple and my old and trustworthy drz. I still end up riding the Smr more often than the others. It is quite fun on the street.

·
Registered
10 Posts
450 smr

id say if u got deep pockets then buy one :lol:,i got one here in the uk an its one of the best street bikes ive had ,until they go wrong, got a little problem with mine at minute with crank bearing,so stripped the motor, inside parts r not that cheap over here when it comes to bearings, piston conrod crank etc, :headshake

but to be truthfull look after it with regular oil change an filters an you will love it, i go riding with my mates who av gsxr 6 /r1/r6s etc, mine will cruise at 65 mph well an tops out at 115mph ,on the straights my mates leave me behind :lol: then we come to the twisty turns were i can get upto 80mph or so they cant touch me.. great fun but if u get one ,dont ride it like its stolen like i do cause it wont last ....:bannana::bannana:
mines an 06 smr aswell pic on here on my post, good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts