SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a new wrx with 90 miles on it so far live the bike but noticed something weird today not sure because never had anything except sportbikes

the chain rests weird on the top of the sprocket i measured the slack it seems to be ok

when you back the bike up the chain now rests weird on the bottom of the sprocket

any ideas does my chain need tighting or is something else wrong thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
you need to adjust ASAP. stock specs are wrong, yamaha issued a tsb on this,

·
Registered
169 Posts
got a new wrx with 90 miles on it so far live the bike but noticed something weird today not sure because never had anything except sportbikes

the chain rests weird on the top of the sprocket i measured the slack it seems to be ok

when you back the bike up the chain now rests weird on the bottom of the sprocket

any ideas does my chain need tighting or is something else wrong thanks
Check the alignment of the wheel to the bike. It appears to me that the angle is incorrect and it is pulling the chain off the sprocket.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I agree. The short time my original was on it never sat up like that..weird. Also w/ my stock stuff the block/axle was further back in the swing arm. AFTER I had to tighten the chain up ?? Sure slack is not too much?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Look at how the chain links line up to the sprocket teeth where the chain appears to be coming off. The chain just isn't fully seated yet because that plastic piece on the sprocket isn't worn in yet. Yamaha issued a bulletin on it. Ride it more, adjust the chain, and all will be fine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so i stoped by dealership with my chain tightened and looking much better, techs said i was a little tight by 5mm but ok if i was happy with it ride it so i now have 2 more days of riding it and stop for gas tonight and notice the chain is sitting just like above but no quite as bad i quickly check the tension seems ok so i now push the chain onto the sprocket the way i should rest and check tension again now it seems to loose is it possible that the chain is streaching this much in such a short time ???? not quite sure what to do next????

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did already was clutching in up in second and did some 1st and second roll ons tonight funnnn!!!!! fun funnnnn!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sooo, my dealership "lost" my owners manual. I have never owned a dirt or SM bike. Come from street bikes, I had no idea what "proper" chain slack is but thanks to the TSB reference I was able to google it. Thanks!

PS: Is there anywhere to get a .pdf version of the manual yet? Still need things like proper axle torque. Also triple clamp torque so I can remove the reflectors.

·
Registered
171 Posts
125 Nm on the rear axle.
40-50mm on the chain
(at the most movable position of course)

I still need the fork tube torque specs too!
Ill check my stock manual.

Do we need those reflectors?
I cant figure out if we do or not in the Ohio revised code website.
I still cant find the requirement on the rear reflectors either...... :thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Doesn't strike me as being much off if it is any. I think my SV was like 11 or 12. I'd have to check that.

I do have a ride this weekend and would hate to strip something like that a day or two before.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Most MX USD forks use 14 for the bootom tripple clamp and 17 for the top. If you over tighten the bottom it will oval shape the aluminum tube and the steel inner will stick when it goes past.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts