SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m about to make the jump from just dirt riding to street. I’ve been looking at a couple different bikes and I think the KLX-SF is the way to go (for now) and with any luck I'll will be picking up a new to me KLX this weekend. I’ve been told by a lot to get a DRZ400 or a maybe a KTM in the 400CC range. However I feel for me and my riding style the KLX will be just fine and when I get bit by the go fast bug I can always get the bore kit.

So with all that said where are a couple good sights I can look for parts? Any help on manufacture’s or pars would be most appreciated.

Short list of first mods:
Tail light
Slides
Hand guards
Mirrors

Future mods:
Air filter
Re-jet
Exhaust

Thanks

K

·
Registered
27 Posts
For what it's worth, I wish I would have taken my freinds advice that told me the same thing. Get a bigger bike. I bought a new KLX250sf and really regret it now. Bike is just too underpowered and kinda limited. Im sure the bore kit will fix some of that. Just seems better off going with a 400cc bike or larger. Not saying the klx is a bad bike, it is just a 250. Not trying to tell you what to do, there are plenty of people who are very happy with their klx, just wanted to give you something to think about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For what it's worth, I wish I would have taken my freinds advice that told me the same thing. Get a bigger bike. I bought a new KLX250sf and really regret it now. Bike is just too underpowered and kinda limited. Im sure the bore kit will fix some of that. Just seems better off going with a 400cc bike or larger. Not saying the klx is a bad bike, it is just a 250. Not trying to tell you what to do, there are plenty of people who are very happy with their klx, just wanted to give you something to think about.
Thanks for the advice, I've been able to find a good use one for a "CHEAP" so it's almost worth rolling the dice on. In the event that it is not what I'm looking for I feel very confident that I could get out of it quickly.

With that said if I find a good deal on a 400 something then I would be all over it. But as it is the KLX-SF is in my price range and probably would make for a good first street bike to learn on???

Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
I had a DRZ400sm, and currently I have a klx. the 400 definitly has more power, but it's alot heavier, and is only a 5speed. The klx is alot lighter, and in my opinion handles better, plus it's a 6speed. I've heard the 351 big bore kit gives it drz power, and people seem really like it. Thats what I'm planning on doing. A pipe, jet kit, and filter really make a differance on the klx too

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, after installing the FMF q4, jet kit, and filter, there was a pretty big difference from stock performance. I have thought about the big bore kit but I still dont think I would be happy with it. Thats just me though. I'm hoping to sell mine and would love to get a Husqvarna sm610. I think it would suit my needs a lot better.

·
Registered
362 Posts
yea, the bike does really lack the power, but im going for the 351 kit, some people say its as fast as a drz, ive never ridden one....so take that into mind. Have you considered the Yamaha WR250?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts