SuperMoto Junkie banner

New to the site! BRAAAP to all! IMPORTING Q. where to post?

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  lloydstrans 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

I need your help. I want to import my 2005 KTM 660 SMR to US, California. Anyone who did something similar? or where could one find out if it complys with US standards? Thanks!

#4 ·
Clearedanddelivered.com has some info, as how current it is IDK. Basically you'll need a letter from KTM vouching it is EPA compliant. Being from the same motor family as the 625SMC you may get lucky. then all the lights will need to be DOT marked instead of E3 or what ever country it is from. From past knowledge do not ship the bike, bust it down and ship it in boxes marked motorcycle parts. The motor may or may not make it through. Once customs latches their hands on it you'll be stuck outside looking in. That being said California has their own evil EPA, CARB (California Air Resources Board) they manufacture their own rules at random and to please themselves. Ship it to Mexico or Canada and retrieve it from there and drive it across the border. Don't know how that would work either. But you'd be crushed if customs crushed it. If you do get it here putting a plate on it will be another task. CARB rules were in effect prior to 2005. The 625SMC got through, stiffled though. Good luck.:D

#5 ·
Thanks man you made it sound real simple! :D

Ok so what I was thinking is shipping it directly to California in one piece via plane. I would not like to unload it tho until it is registered.
I dunno why customs would be a problem as I am already an owner of it in Europe, I have all the paperwork except this EPA sticker.
With the exhaust not beeing stock I presume I have to get a certificate or a confirmation from Akrapovic that it is compliant with EPA which I think should not be a problem as the European emmision rules are more strict anyway.

The question still beeing open is presuming I got all the paperwork, pay all my taxes, fees etc. will I be able to register it with DMV before actually flying it in the U.S. or do I have to have it here in order to get these things done. (do "they" need to see it in person for some sort of inspection?)

Like you said i would not like to have it crushed. :headshake

#6 ·
Custom well no doubt peek into the crate to assure what is declared is actually in the crate, not drugs, exotic birds, ivory, etc. A non USofA vehicle is considered a gray vehicle and will be impounded until it complies with emissions and safety equipment. And after the impound period it gets crushed. And no they won't let you send it back.

It is done here everyday, Both Canadians and Mexicans drive their cars across our borders with nothing but a visa and insurance.

I would do my due diligence, not just listening to my crackerass. It's been 25 years since I was trying to sneak 2 stroke bikes into CA, RZs and NSs.

Can you buy the EPA sticker from KTM? Understanding that where you're at they would have no use for them. We used to be able to by the California sticker from Chevy, Ford and Dodge and affix them to a 49 state vehicle. I did look on the parts fiche and there isn't one showing.

#7 ·
I will try that or atleast see what they will have to say about the compliance they are really bad at replying to their emails so I will just go to the factory as Im back in Europe next week anyway. Yeah thats a good thing to know thanks I definetly do not want to ship the bike prior to comply with all U.S. standards or I will most likely regret it.

Whats up with the lights I noticed a Honda Goldwing earlier today driving the streets of Omaha (NE plates) with EU blinkers (yellow). Have you ever noticed that in CA? Kind of makes me think not everything has to be modified or is it just state dependand because from what Ive heard so far California is really hard on you guys.

#8 · (Edited)
Your First Mistake is Moving to A Liberal Hellhole like California,There Is a reason more people are Leaving!
I've got all the Emissions Crap sitting in a Pile from my California 625... You can HAVE that sh&t!

Only California's CARB can take a big bore Race cycle and force so much emissions crap on it it pulls like a wr250...In order to have that 660 to pass you are going to have to "re-Neuter" The bike..

now If I were you.. Sell That 660 and buy a Carb compliant bike.. Or just don't move to California.. It wont surprise me when California Trys to ban anything with a Internal combustion engine.. they are already trying to get you riding a Freaking bicycle everywhere.. Hell In My Field (otr Driving) almost everyone who can avoids that state and Their sh!tty Emission laws/Bureaucracy.. The only state Where They essentially wont let you in if your vehicle is over a certain age...

#9 ·
Our turn signals can either be red or orange. The only thing is our blinkers must have an 3.5 surface area and be mounted 6.5 inches (center to center) from the tail light and 10.5 from the head light. I think those are the requirements IIRC. Still waiting for LEDs that are legal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.