SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you guys, I am new to the whole supermoto thing and I am ready to start really modding my Honda CRF 230m (I would hardly call it a "super"moto at 14hp). The bike does its job well as a commuter, averaging between 80-85 mpg, but I have recently had to sell my other bikes and I am bored with this one in stock form. I am on a pretty tight budget (which is why I'm on the bike to begin with) as I am still in college, but I do have ~$600 set aside to hopefully improve the bike. My plan right now is to go with the XR's only smog delete, FMF powerbomb header/Q4 muffler, new air box, and a dynojet stage 2 re-jet for the carb. I've got a fair bit of experience working on bikes (I rebuilt/sold a cbr 600rr to pay for tuition this semester), but I was just hoping for some thoughts/advice from someone who has a little bit more experience with this niche. All opinions are welcome, but just fyi I have heard all of hate out there on these bikes and don't worry I am well aware that your drz is sent from Christ. Buy hey, if you cant get what you want then love what you got!
Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track with potential mods, not sure about the need for the airbox but everything else seems to be in line. Sometimes just tweaking what you have makes the love for the bike come back, you'll get a few extra ponies, lose a little weight, gain a nice exhaust note, and most importantly, re-kindle your love for your bike. Personally, I think it's a great machine...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like you're on the right track with potential mods, not sure about the need for the airbox but everything else seems to be in line. Sometimes just tweaking what you have makes the love for the bike come back, you'll get a few extra ponies, lose a little weight, gain a nice exhaust note, and most importantly, re-kindle your love for your bike. Personally, I think it's a great machine...
Do you have any idea of what hp I can expect to gain?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Do you have any idea of what hp I can expect to gain?
When you're starting with a small engine at say 15 HP and you spend a bunch of money to get 20% more power, well, we're talking about 3 HP gains here overall. if you want snap, perhaps you can adjust the gearing; lower it a bit, you'll loose top end speed so you can blow it on the highway easier trying to keep up with your old sport bike buddies on faster bikes on that run to the lake, but you might get a bit more snap down where you ride it at city speeds if that's your primary riding zone. but get the carb running better with the jet kit. do some reading on the header, on the DRZ the stock street header is smaller dia. than the off road model restricted for cali emissions, if you buy just the off road header, you get a couple more ponies. wondering if thats the case here. front brake upgrades and solid hand guards are always recommended for supermotos

1 - 6 of 6 Posts