SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m need to this forum and i recently moved to Okinawa Japan due to military I want to buy a motorcycle and the options seem a little limited if I don’t want to spend a ton of money. I’ve found a CRF250l and a wr250x. The Honda is about $4000 and the Yamaha is around $7000. I’m 6’5 so I’m hoping the bikes aren’t to small. I’m wondering if it’s worth it to get the Yamaha or get the Honda and put the extra money into it? What do you all think? Thanks for any input

·
Registered
51 Posts
The CRF will be significantly softer both in power and handling. The WR puts out about 33hp vs the 24 for the Honda. The WR comes with actual supermoto wheels. The CRF doesn't. Neither bike will feel 'small' although neither one is a full on motocrosser in height. My concern is that at 6ft5, neither one is going to really have any eye opening power lugging you around. The WR will handle better on street but won't handle any dirt to speak of. I'm sure in that part of the world you should be able to find a Suzuki DRZ400 or even a KTM for similar money. Not sure what license or insurance restrictions you have while there.

7k is quite a lot of cash for something you will only have to dispose of at the end of the tour, but for what it's worth, the WR would be my choice of the 2. If I were you I'd search a bit further and see what else there is. I know the 2 strokes are pretty much gone in Japan now, but a big 4T will serve you better.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jeez I just had a look around. Found a WR450F for 26k dollars! That's mental money. Looks like used prices in Japan are almost as bad as used prices in Ireland. Nice Aprilia SXV550 in Tokyo but still silly money. I think you might just have your pick already found man. At least the 250X is a twin cylinder so it will be smooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The CRF will be significantly softer both in power and handling. The WR puts out about 33hp vs the 24 for the Honda. The WR comes with actual supermoto wheels. The CRF doesn't. Neither bike will feel 'small' although neither one is a full on motocrosser in height. My concern is that at 6ft5, neither one is going to really have any eye opening power lugging you around. The WR will handle better on street but won't handle any dirt to speak of. I'm sure in that part of the world you should be able to find a Suzuki DRZ400 or even a KTM for similar money. Not sure what license or insurance restrictions you have while there.

7k is quite a lot of cash for something you will only have to dispose of at the end of the tour, but for what it's worth, the WR would be my choice of the 2. If I were you I'd search a bit further and see what else there is. I know the 2 strokes are pretty much gone in Japan now, but a big 4T will serve you better.

Thanks for the reply the only other thing I’ve been able to find is a ktm 350 And a couple Honda crf250m. I’m on an island a ways from mainland japan and I’ve only seen 2 drz400 For sale so far but I’m gonna keep looking around for now thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeez I just had a look around. Found a WR450F for 26k dollars! That's mental money. Looks like used prices in Japan are almost as bad as used prices in Ireland. Nice Aprilia SXV550 in Tokyo but still silly money. I think you might just have your pick already found man. At least the 250X is a twin cylinder so it will be smooth.

Yeah I’m from the states so I was really surprised to see some of the prices here

·
Registered
80 Posts

A WR250X , or any WR for that matter , is NOT a twin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got bad info on my first search. Thanks for the correction. It kinda didn't make sense that it would be a twin.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just in my defence, this is the first site that Google hits if you type WR250X specs..... clearly a bunch of horse shite. I should have double checked, but I thought maybe Yamaha had used a softer 4T engine from something else in a WR style chassis. Never trust your first hit from Google. It'll shaft you every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts