SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still looking around for a used supermoto or enduro bike to convert. COVID prices are crazy and I really don't feel like overpaying. I've been reading a bunch of threads on this forum and while price/availability will be the ultimate deciding factor, I've got a pretty long list of bikes that I'm looking at: DRZ400sm, WR250x (or 250r with SM wheels), KTM500 exc, Husqvarna SM 510, KTM 690 SMC R, Honda CRF450L, Husaberg FS570.

I think the 690 is going to be out of my price range but kept it in my search just in case. Husabergs aren't too easy to come by and I imagine that parts/repair will be tough. DRZ is fat and the only carbed bike of the bunch. WR250 isn't that much lighter than the DRZ and has way less power.

Based on the bikes above, I was hoping you guys could provide some recommendations, things to look out for/stay away from, etc.
Right now I have a CBR600rr that spends most of its time at the track. I'm not sure if I'd track this bike but it will be 100% used on the road and I don't plan on putting too much mileage on it (500miles per year or less) unless I end up really loving the thing. Budget is $7k-$8k including the cost for a conversion. I don't mind a little extra maintenance but I do worry about buying something like a used 510 because most of them have over 6,000 miles so I'd think they're about due for motor work.

Thanks for the help!

Registered
If you are coming from a ss600 my recemendation would be to fin an old 2008 + husqy 510 smr ,or a husaberg fs 570 because personally I do not like to bother with with a bunch of money thrown down the drain for wheels, suspension, gearing etc.

The above models if you understand the maintenance required can last a long time and are some of the best edgy all rounders IMO and i think for most cases especially for the husqy you may find them reasonably priced as well .

If motor work is required talk them down from the covid priced fantasy. Sadly we are in different markets so I can't speak for your situation but I have seen on smj FB, some ridiculous prices for some ratty old garbage so it's not that i don't get what's going on in the land of free.

A friend of mine bought last April a 08 smr510 with 190hrs/10k km, dirt cheap(different markets i know) 2,7k euro tied some lose ends (plastics ,fueling, tires, and sprocket+ chain ) and the thing still sings after 50hrs of use, with regular oil changes and valve checks.
We still can't believe how that sucker hasn't let a whif o metal to the magnet.
As a gift to her he is planning to do a winter refresh to the engine , so it will clock another two or three seasons 馃ぃ

The 09+husabergs with the 70deg engines are also tough as nails. In my husa techs shop I have seen closed units (450/570) with 300hrs hard enduro use, and believe me they would have kept going some more if they absolutely had to. Parts ktm dealers are still supplying.

Any more info come and say hi at husaberg.org

Have fun.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have seen some 510's and 570's on the market but people are asking $7k+ for a bike that's 15 years old. Just seems crazy. Are engine parts still readily available for the husaberg and husky 510?

Registered
Yeah , engine parts are available for both as far as I know. (Plz note everything about the husqy that i'm telling refers to a 2008 and after 510 smr , the older fcr bikes require some more research because of the smaller head)
The 510's oem con rod kit has disappeared from some spare parts sites but no biggie since wossner makes a kit also there is potentially some oem stock in the fb page . Regardless SWM will sell you a complete crank assembly. For a not so outrageous price.

For the 570
There is or rather was some difficulty for fairing /plastics kits in the last year or so because ktm discontinued them (go figure). Since then a company called scrub deaigns has taken over and makes them ,brand spanking new so that was good.
The 510 has more than 2 after market companies plus plenty of stock of OEM fairings .
Long term the 510 is the safer bet because SWM still makes the same whole bike and sells it as 2021 model.
If they are asking 7k may as well go for a new swm sm 500 r馃槄
without a doubt the 08and up 510 is a cracking bike ,but for me the unique factor of the 570 , the engine ,the frame, the fully adjustable suspension (510 no preload on the front)and the sound is hard to pass . Then again i am biased since I have the big husa daddy.

Hope you find something good. 馃憤

Registered
You can find loads of ktm500 that have been converted in your budget if you keep an out out. Probably pre 2017. Drz400 is a tank but on the slower side. Could be a good gateway bike as you could find pretty much any s model from 02 or newer(00 & 01) had slightly downgraded suspenion or an 05 and up sm. Brand new i think they are 7k and while they hold their value nothing has really changed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts