SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to Supermoto but I do have 10 year experience off roading (quads), and a couple years experience with street bikes. I am looking to get a Supermoto in the near future.

The primary reasons I want one is to build riding skills. I would love to race on and off the pavement and I want something I can learn to stunt with.

I am not very tall about 5'7. I sat on a SXV 550 at a local dealer and noticed it is way to tall for me. I want something I am not struggling to get my footing with. I also want something that I will not grow out of power wise. I will be driving it on the street and need to know about registering and what bikes can be street legal. I will be buying something used for sure but want to know what to look out for.

What are the main differences between the setup on a Supermoto vs a dirt bike. So far I gather it has larger brakes, street tires, and I am assuming stiffer suspension. If I where to buy a dirt bike to convert exactly what would I be looking at doing?

I know thats a lot of questions but I would appreciate the help. And I hope to get started in the sport here soon :).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spend some time reading through old posts to get a general feel for what people do to their bikes.

You won't find a shorter motard than an SXV unless you drop them on their guts with lowering links. You'll be fine at 5'7", the idea is to ride it not to sit still anyway. Slide your ass off the seat to one side when you stop and you'll flat foot no worries.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Bikes that fit your needs:

KTM 690 SMC
Husky 610 or 510.
KTM 450 or 530 EXC converted to supermoto (street Legal)

You know about the Aprilia

These are bikes you can do track day with maybe some club races and still ride it back to work on Monday.

Lower performance bikes include
DRZ400 Sm
Yamaha WR250X
DR650 converted to supermoto

·
Registered
319 Posts
If it was my money and I wanted something I could either blast around on trails, track-day/sumo race, and ride on the street I think I'd get the EXC or the husky in the 500cc range.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Obvious signs of thrashing is a BIG RED FLAG!

Look out for signs of a bike not being maintained, like oil leaking from spots it shouldn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts