SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... besides the fact that pavement is harder than dirt? :D

My name is Rob, Im new to the forum. I live in SoCal. I used to ride/race motocross (60cc-250cc) as a kid (12-16) out at Indian Dunes, LACR, Gorman, Texas Cyn, Adelanto etc. Im 6' 1", 210lbs. I grew up racing with people like Damon Huffman and Ezra Lusk... (until I broke ribs trying to keep up :eek:, then I started surfing:laughingr)

Anyhow, I currently ride a cheap 150cc china scoot for commuting to school/work. It does the job and I like the 70MPG, but it can get a little hairy dealing with traffic in LA when your ride barely goes 55mph. (Yes, I took the MSF course) I have a few friends that ride SM's (modded DRZ's) and it would be cool to start riding for fun again, but I still need a bike to commute on. A WR250X sounds like it would be perfect.

My questions for the cool kids...

Whats the biggest difference in riding a SM on the street compared to say a regular enduro bike? (Ive ridden my friends DRZ around the block... I wouldnt say Ive RIDDEN it tho.)

Does anyone know what, if any, changes will be made to the '09 WR250X's?

Are they going to make a WR450X?

Thanks in advance. Lovin the site...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Who the hell cares what you need to know! I wanna know what it was like riding with the Huff and Lusk!!! :laughingr

Welcome to the forum, you'll learn lots here, just do a bit of reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who the hell cares what you need to know! I wanna know what it was like riding with the Huff and Lusk!!! :laughingr

Welcome to the forum, you'll learn lots here, just do a bit of reading.
Thx a lot, cant wait to get back into riding...

Riding with Damon was humbling.:bowdown: When I was 10 I moved next door to him. I was stoked to have someone to ride BMX with. Im two years older than his skinny a$$, but be it bicycle, or motorcycle he just ripped. I had never ridden a motorcycle before, so going riding with him, my cousins and I just kinda expected to be able to keep up... :laughingr What we didnt understand at the time was that by age 8 he had already been riding and RACING for 3 years! The little bastard was faster than everyone else his age, so his dad would make him take practice with the 125 pros... on his 60! After he turned pro in highschool, it became clear that trying to keep pace with him was useless. By the time I inherited my cousins KX125 (age 16) Damon had won a few national titles and had a full ride from Suzuki... I think it was Suzuki. I broke 3 ribs and almost punctured a lung trying to clear a set of doubles he added to the track we had built behind our house in the desert. I just remember thinking... "Im bigger, Im stronger... WTF is going on, WHY CANT I CATCH HIM!!?":headscrat (Are you sensing the frustration....? )

Dave (his dad), is a hellauva mechanic/engineer and pimped my first bike, a yz60, by putting 80 forks on it and pipe he fabbed himself. The first time they put me on the bike I rode it directly into and up the chainlink fence in the backyard. :clap: Ahhhh... fond memories. I remember going riding w/out goggles because mine were scratched to hell and Damon just threw me a brand new pair of Oakley's. He was always good like that. I remember when he bought his mom a BMW for her birthday... I think he was 22 at the time.

The Huffmans are a great bunch. Dave, Karen, Damon and his sister Melissa were always fun and nice to us squids who followed Damon around hoping some speed would rub off. Our families would take trips to the desert together and Damon was always the first one up.. riding as the sun came up.

My cousins still keep in touch with them, but I havent talked to him or seen him in a long time... since he stopped racing supercross. It would be awesome to get back into riding and be able to ride with him on a SM track. There is still a little competitive bitterness, but he always made me ride to my limits, so I liked riding with him even though it was embarassing at times.

How would you feel about getting smoked every time you took your bike out of the garage by a goofy, comical, lanky kid who was afraid of girls? Ha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts