SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is Jim. I live in Ashland OR. (right across the Calif. boarder) I'm 53 have a wonderful wife and a super cool dog named Harley! I own a little restaurant here in Ashland. (undeserved Blessings) I've loved bikes all my life! I'm very obsessive with my hobbies. Been into street bikes, motocross, snowmobiles, 80cc shifter carts, circle track racing, competeing with giant scale radio control aircraft, wake boarding, snow boarding, bass fishing, koi fish, racing my GSXR 750 :D
Anyway I resently got my race bike out of storage and hit up 2 Keigwins 2 day track schools at Thunderhill raceway in willows, northern Calif. What a rush to be on the track again:bannana: Also got my 2001 KTM 520SX out of storage and I'm doing research on making it a sumo or buy my buddies CRF 450 and converting that.
Rode another friends CRF 450 last thurs. at the Medford kart track and fell in love with super moto! I'm still smiling like a little kid. So now I need to research where to find, new or used, everything I need to get a supermoto together for sumo thurs. at the kart track and perhap enter a few novices races in Nor Cal. or Oregon
nice meeting you guys, take care, Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankx for the welcomes

Thanks oldschool63 (which bike would be better for racing KTM 520SX or hopped up CRF 450?) Thanks muxhurdlr

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Thanks oldschool63 (which bike would be better for racing KTM 520SX or hopped up CRF 450?) Thanks muxhurdlr
I think they're both 6 speeds, so comparable in that sense. SM parts availability are about a wash. You know what they say "A bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush" I would build the KTM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Sekon, Old School the KTM is a 4 speed and the CRF is a 5. At the track don't most people use 2 or 3 gears max?:headscrat

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Boy I blew that call on the gears. The last track I was on was MX, so I can't say. The factory SM's run a close ratio 6 speed. My '04 Husky has one and I love it on the street. I basically go as hard as I can in the fun stuff, using mostly 3rd, 4th and 5th. Occasionaly 2nd, and 6th if a short straight in there. I can always find the right gear for the situation.

Honestly, it's a matter of preference for the weekend warrior. It will also depend on the track somewhat. That being said, I would go for the Honda over the 4 speed KTM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts