SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
CVTs have potential... if done right.
with modern electronic engine and transmission controls, it would be seamless other then the sound... but a 18hp bike would have more umph coming off a corner then your current 40hp bike... and how the power comes in could be made smoother electronically(or harder if you want) ... so it would be easier to ride fast (isnt that what you 4stroke guys want?? :D ) and it would be faster all around.. more tractable.. lots of potential benefits.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
CVT's have come a long way from the weak tranny's they used to put in scooters in the '80s. They have a lot of potential. That said, I still drive a stick shift car and would not want to give up my manual tranny in the bike either.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
Rode in a friends mini a few months ago and was pleasantly impressed....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guys, its not about the technology.

It doesn't matter how well the technology works. I'm familiar with it. But I don't ride a motorcycle (or drive car for that matter) to have everything automated for me. It sucks the fun out of it. It sucks the soul out of it.

Enjoy not wheelying. And riding a glorified scooter.

I hope this shit never goes mainstream :rant:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts

It doesn't matter how well the technology works. I'm familiar with it. But I don't ride a motorcycle (or drive car for that matter) to have everything automated for me. It sucks the fun out of it. It sucks the soul out of it.

granted i agree with you on most of that i too love my manual tranny in my car and bike but for racing i can see the cvt to have alot of potential, you will have all the power to the ground as soon as you hit the gas, theres no lag and if done right could prove to be a better racer.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts

and i LOVE ripping thru the gears in my car.
however, the advantage of an auto on the dragstrip is so great that it cant be ignored if you're really racing.

this isnt an auto trans either.. its beyond that. no gears. just power. RIGHT THERE. :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can definitely see the advantages in certain forms of racing. However, once CVT trans. become more common... the cost comes down, and manufacturers of bikes AND cars start thinking about making them the default transmission option. Because its cheaper.

Then they'll try and throw the enthusiasts a bone by putting on some bunk-ass paddle shifters and trying to convince us that it's the same as a clutch and gearbox... NO! NO! A thousand times NO!

And on the racing argument... the guy who can get it done on the 'strip with a manual trans is a hero.. not just some dude who can punch it when the light goes green! ;)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I can definitely see the advantages in certain forms of racing. However, once CVT trans. become more common... the cost comes down, and manufacturers of bikes AND cars start thinking about making them the default transmission option. Because its cheaper.
thankfully i dont think the CVT will ever be cheaper then a simple manual trans.

Then they'll try and throw the enthusiasts a bone by putting on some bunk-ass paddle shifters and trying to convince us that it's the same as a clutch and gearbox... NO! NO! A thousand times NO!
i also share your hatred of manual-matics... clutch FTW.

And on the racing argument... the guy who can get it done on the 'strip with a manual trans is a hero.. not just some dude who can punch it when the light goes green! ;)
i swapped a T56 into my car not to be a hero, but because its alot of fun. and it is harder.
but when you're talking about fast cars. REAL fast cars, not this 12+ second BS, then its not 'just punching it'... and honestly, to race, the auto with a good stall will always be faster.... for the same reason the CVT is. (thats why i brought it up to begin with... :) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts