SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I told several of you I have been talking with some facilities in Northern VA about hosting SM at their venues. I had call back meetings with 4 facilities today. One declined, 2 or checking insurance requirements and will be talking with me later in the week and one said come on out on any Saturday he wasn't holding an event. I won't hold an event that conflicts with ESMRA schedule so that leaves the following dates:
July 12,
August 9 & 16
September 6 & 27
October 25

All the facilities are between Richmond and DC (I visited all 4 today and the round trip from my house was 187 miles, including backtracking to the main road). I will be going back during the week to design the actual track. The track will be rudimentary at best. Any of you who attended the MIR event last year will know what I'm talking about. For those of you who didn't here's a couple of pics-
View attachment 44015

View attachment 44016

View attachment 44017

The facility has dirt but no terrain for a natural jump and no equipment for me to build one as of now. This is a grass roots effort to see if we can build up a demographic base in the VA area so we can get facilities to build jumps and other things specifically for us. There is more than enough paved area for us (I could actually build 3 separate tracks and run them at once).
Since this will be a meet & greet type of session it will be a simple affair. The only charge is the gate entry fee ($15 or $20 I think) and you get to run all day. If you're not riding you will have to help work corners. Groups will be divided into AM & EX, 250 & Open. DRZ 400 will run with the 250's. If enough Mini's show interest I will possibly create a division for them. Even though this is not a sanctioned race event we will have practice followed by races for the different divisions. I am NOT a promoter or a sanctioning organization, just a fellow racer who wants some track time closer to home.
Tech requirements are the usual- catch cans for carb & crank case. Safety wire oil drain, filler & filter. No anti-freeze. Safety gear is required. Any discrepancies will be judged by the event director (that would be me). The decision of the event director is final.
They won't be interested in opening up for 6 or 7 of us and would probably say don't call us we'll call you so I need to judge interest prior to committing to dates with them. Let me know how many of you are interested.

I also have appointments with 2 other facilities scheduled next weekend to follow up on earlier meetings so we may be able to expand on this facility and the other 2 I mentioned at the begining.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I could be talked into this, you may want to post a link in the south/central PA thread as thats really close for alot of us.

Spence

·
Registered
955 Posts
I'm in for at least a couple of those dates. Sounds like fun! How much would it cost to rent a Bobcat to make the dirt section better?

·
Registered
27 Posts
sundays are not good?

i work in retail and work every saturday so none of the above listed dates are good. :(

i'm in baltimore and would love a closer venue than beaverun.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In answer to everyones questions-
L12motard- That guy is me and I was watering the track and anything else that needed it. :D
spnce- I assume that you are talking about the regional forums in TT, it's done.
Lt. Dan- you don't have to race. You're more than welcome to just come and watch, or help out if you desire. I will be very observant of the AM group and make sure that there are not people in it who need to be grouped higher so you might want to consider at least doing the practice.
MikeB- I can get access to a bobcat without too much trouble but until it is established that this will be an ongoing venue I don't want to tear up the owners track any more than we have to. I want him to have a positive impression so if he decides not to pursue further events at this time I can come back later and try again (like MIR).
GuzziMoto- as I said on another forum I prefer not to name the track until it is set in concrete due to the attack nature of the people on this forum. If something doesn't go their way they attack, I don't care if they attack me but I don't want the track attacked or it will ruin any chances in the future of an event (I have been told by one facility that they don't want SM there due to what they read on SMJ before).
jennthebiker- sorry but the facility races on Sunday, and some Saturdays, so the only slots at this time were Saturdays. The other venues that I am talking to may have Sunday slots available though, I will know better as talks proceed. One of the venues asked if night (Friday / Saturday) would be an option.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
actually I meant posting in "local ride alerts" here on SMJ....I will post a link to this thread to drive some interest.

Spence

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm very interested. I live in Alexandria and I'm willing to help out any way I can. I'm out of town the next two weeks but I would love to ride on some of these dates. It would be wonderful to have tracks closer to home!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm so bummin - my wife and I are moving, I have no time to play. It's a shame this didn't happen 2 years ago! Not hatin', just sayin. Props for making it happen -- someone's gotta be a leader.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are we talkin full size track for big bikes only or is there a place for minis to?
The "track" is whatever size / shape that I design and lay it out to be, within the constraints of the facilities property. There is enough space that I caould make a track over a mile long if I desired. However, at this time I don't have the material or time needed for such an ambitious project. Since there won't be any jumps to speak of (I'm working on something though :headscrat) the track will be friendly to minis (and beginners).
It seems that there is enough interest so I will go forward with this. I think the July date is too close for proper design / build / advertise. I think that was one of the things that hurt turnout @ MIR, we only got word out 2 weeks prior to the event and turnout from locals suffered. I want locals to come to this since they will make up a good demographic for participants to keep the venue open. I will meet with the track and choose a date later this week and post a link as soon as we agree on the date. :thumbup:
Thanks to all of you offering to help out, I may take some of you up on it once I ascertain exactly how the track is going to lay out and what I need to do to get it ready.
Aaron

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I'm very interested in any Supermoto seat time I can get. If there is no ESMRA conflicts, then I'm pretty sure I'd make your dates.

Thanks for the leg work and effort.

Barry

1 - 20 of 27 Posts