SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all. Guessing these have been answered before but I can't find much detail on them...

1. Is the owner's manual the worst in the history of motorcycling? Anyone found an aftermarket workshop manual? I'll pay whatever it takes to get one because of the experience below......

2. The bag filters: I went looking for the right hand side filter. Sh*t myself when I realised I was pulling apart the oil pump. Couldn't get the shaft out anyway and certainly couldn't see a filter in there, so put it all back together and prayed I had it right. That scared me off attempting the left side.

Does anyone have a link to a decent set of instructions for these jobs? I am scared stiff that I haven't put the oil pump together properly. And I want to clean those filters, damnit.

Otherwise, great bike (well, the instrument cluster and headlight are not so good). A new can really livened it up, and that front brake is crazy. Good times ahead (if I haven't screwed up the oil flow!).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Goosedog. I already have that. It's very short on detail. First manual I've ever known not to list even the volume of oil.

A Haynes or something is what I'm after.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks Goosedog. I already have that. It's very short on detail. First manual I've ever known not to list even the volume of oil.

A Haynes or something is what I'm after.
as far as oil goes that's in your owners manual
1.9 quarts for oil only change, and 2.1 for oil and filter.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah your right on the manuals lacking detail. I had a husky in 78 and the manulas were lacking also. Funny how somethings never seem to change.
You'd think in this day and age thing like manuals would be clear and precise.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to get hold of the Husky workshop manual, which is a little better than the owner's manual. I'll load that up to a webpage from home (can't do it here at work).

The bag filters remain a mystery....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I took the clutch cover off and found that right-side bag filter. Why the owner's manual tells you to pull the oil pump apart I have no idea. But as seems to be the case with almost everyone else, the filter was free of debris so I will probably not clean it with every oil change (I change every 2500km).

Interested to know what others do to get to this filter. I undid the rear brake pump, removed the pedal spring, undid one footpeg bolt to allow the pedal to swing out of the way. That allowed me to pull the cover off easily enough, but it was just a little tricky to get it back between the clutch and the frame at the sight window end.

The left side was full of shavings, but it's a simple affair so will be cleaned each time.

Next task is to adjust that damn mixture screw. They did a great job of stopping people fiddling with it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts