SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which KTM models that can be plated would be good for a new rider and could be used to travel to and from work? Would the 690 Duke or 690 SMC be a good bike for a beginner? Or would I be better served by getting a Suzuki DR-Z400SM or Yamaha WR250X?

·
Registered
599 Posts
ktm are tall bikes so if you're under 6' you won't be able to put both feet on the ground.

depends on how far you're riding to work. the 690 bikes will definitely be better for long distances.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beginner, in this case, is me looking for a first motorcycle. Growing up, I used to ride dirt bikes, so I have some experience on a bike (a long time ago). Every car I have owned had a manual transmission.

I asked about the Duke because it has the lowest seat height of the bikes I mentioned. How quickly does the power kick in on the Duke?

Thank you for the replies.

·
Registered
728 Posts
i started on dirt bikes, then got a kawi 636 sportbike, and sold it a season later. was then bike less for almost two years, and just now got the 690 SMC a week ago. this bike feels just like a dirt bike. it will be a little tall which may intimidate you at first if you're not used to full size motocross bikes. once you are moving though the bike feels weightless and the height feels fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts