SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I'm Josh. I am new to riding motorcycles and am in the market to find a good bike for me. A little about myself is I'm around 5'7 maybe 5'6 and 225lbs. I will be riding the bike twice MAYBE three times a week on the highway (100km/hr) for a round trip of 90km's. I have looked into WR450's and WR250's also just started to look at KTM 500 EXC and the husky 610 I'm kind short would I fit on the wr450 or would it be better to goto a wr250? The only concern i have about the 250 is i will be to heavy and be to slow and i'm 21 so i don't wanna get killed for insurance thats why i was thinking dual sport or supermoto

Thanks for reading and any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'd be fine on a WR450 with 17's. All of the bikes are going to be relatively tall including the 250. I think you'd be a lot happier on a bigger cc bike/450 and up.
Even for a beginner who hasn't rode a lot? And what is the Maintenance like how many km for an oil change and how many for valve checks? For 450?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Even for a beginner who hasn't rode a lot? And what is the Maintenance like how many km for an oil change and how many for valve checks? For 450?
Just respect the bike and you'll be just fine. Leave it in WR spec and convert it to YZ spec when you feel the need for more power.

Maintenance wise oil changes every 1k-1,500 miles or so and I check valves each year, but have yet to need to adjust any. The 5 valve head is very low maintenance.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Welcome to SMJ !!!
Are you located in Canada ?
If so, it might be impossible to convert a WR450 to street use. (Can't do it in Quebec :nutkick:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
WR450

Speaking from experience, you WILL become familiar with the 250 after a while and will want more power, at least I did.

As crash has said, the WR engine is sound. Regular oil changes and at least yearly valve checks and these bikes will run forever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WR450

Speaking from experience, you WILL become familiar with the 250 after a while and will want more power, at least I did.

As crash has said, the WR engine is sound. Regular oil changes and at least yearly valve checks and these bikes will run forever.
Perfect! Will a yamalink really make a big difference with street tires?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I am in canada but I'm from Ontario, they do have conversion kits!
Check with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation before you buy a WR450. Here's what another user has said:
Here in Ontario you can't just take a WR and put it on road, you have to find one that has a road legal ownership '06 and older.
Better safe than sorry...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I looked into many different things cause being a yamaha guy I couldn't have a supermoto if it wasn't a yamaha. I tryd buying a 2014 street legal'd from Vermont.... But once it crossed the border it would be changed to off-road.

In 2006 Ontario stopped letting us street legal off-road bikes, but the bikes that were changed before that are grandfathered and can stay with a green ownership.

If you find a wr450 with a green ownership ('03 to '06) the next problem you may have is getting a saftey. All local bike shops for me wouldn't touch it, but I finally found a crappy almost out of buisness seedy shop that wanted my money..... I wasn't looking for quality just a safety (I'd done all work myself and was good). In my humble opinion, IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!!!! But kinda a pain in the ass

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts