SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Proud new owner of a 2009 690smc here!!!! The bike is amazing so far. I bought it new as a left over so I am still in the breaking in phase with about 300 miles on the clock. I was wondering when the fan will kick on?. I haven't overheated the bike but I have seen 10bars and I don't think the fan came on at that point. Will it only kick on right before overheat or do you think there is a problem with my thermoswitch?
Also, Did everyone here strictly follow the break in procedure stated in the manual and keep it below 6k for the first 600 miles. I am dying to open her up as I can feel that the meat of the power starts around 4.5k and is going to go well through 6k. I havent's got to do any throttle wheelies yet keeping it under 6k but it has come up very nicely with the clutch in 2nd for me.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
603 Posts
It’s my understanding the standard switch doesn’t come on until very high temp for EPA pollution standards. KTM likes to keep the exhaust (catalyst) really hot so it burns all carbons. I and others have switched the sensor with a switch that comes on about twenty degrees sooner. Here is the info for ordering the part. Just take the right side panel off, (two bolts and pull the rear outward, then lift upward) lay the bike on blankets on its left side, unscrew the old, and screw in the new one. You’ll be good to go. The fan switch is screwed into the right hand back side of the radiator and the LTZ switch fits perfectly.
Part # 27010-S023
From a 2006 Suzuki LTZ-400. You should be able to get it from any Suzuki, Kawasaki or Arctic Cat dealer for $40-US. Use the KTM o-ring with it.
Then do yourself a favor, get a new endcan, remove all anti-pollution crap, and have the ECU and TPS flashed at a KTM dealer that is capable of doing it. You will not believe the difference. When you remove the anti-pollution stuff, you have to add two diodes from Radio Shack so you don’t get a FI warning light. It’s an easy job, but you’ll have to search here to see how it’s done. If you can’t find it, let me know, I think I have it archived.
As far as break in procedure goes, I have always road my bikes like I stole them as soon as I hit five-hundred miles. The more you push the rings under pressure agents the cylinder walls, the better they will seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply JC... I have the akra can on order. I'm hoping to have it come in and get it installed when i do my break in service. I will get cracking on the other stuff you recomended. I have pulled the evap cannister on all my other bikes but I'll do a search as I'm new to needing to add a resistor. I can't imagine it's too hard. I am loving the bike so far. I have a Ducati Hypermotard 1100 that is currently up for sale. It's a great bike but it's not a supermoto and I feel like it's trying to be too many things at once. The 690 is a great bike to compliment my BMW R1200gs. I think I have found the perfect 2 bike stable..

·
Registered
546 Posts
The fan usually will not kick in until you're about 2 bars from max. I've only had the fan kick on a few times. I've never reached full temp bars, not have I ever seen the "over heat" light on the gauge cluster that supposedly exists.

As for breaking it in -- I am no expert, as this was the first bike I've had to break in -- but as stated above, I usually hear to "ride it like you stole it". That's basically what I did too, though I definitely also made sure to fluctuate the RPMs while doing so. I think that's also one of the most important things. So that means, no cruising on the highway at constant speed. Obviously sometimes that isn't preventable, so what I would so was slow down every now and then and down shift to switch-up the RPMs, and the gas it back up through a couple gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts