SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just bought a 690 SMC-r 2014. Coming from a 2010 Husqvarna SMR510. I have some questions:

1) I feel like the front fork/shockabsorber is really hard. I noticed that the COM setting was 1click away from the softest setting. Is this normal? What "click settings" are you guys riding?
2) I think the gear ratio is a bit high compared to my old Husky (which i liked alot). Have anyone changed the rear sprocket? What size is recommended?
3) I feel like the engine is not that aggressive and brutal, but more like a steady pull. Is this the normal characteristic of this engine?
4) Does my 2014 have the "2nd and 3rd gear restriction"?
5) I have Acra slip-on but original map. Should i ask the dealer to change my map?

Thank you, forum!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Change the dampening as you like it, there is no magic setting.

Yes, people have changed the rear/front sprocket. Again, personal preference.

2014's FI currently locked, and softer on the bottom than previous models

Don't know, as I've done that on 2 690's, felt zero difference.

If you find a dealer than knows what they are doing, you can have the akro map installed on 2014.

Plenty of threads on this bike already, both here and advrider, specifically. Same basic bike as 14 enduro.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The forks on these are notoriously oversprung, while the rear is undersprung. They have improved some on the 14's. Reduce compression damping, increase rebound damping, if you can't get it as you like it, change springs/valving.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Obviously different settings, but the comp damping on my '08 Enduro forks was stupidly firm.
Required re shimming.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also recently purchase a new 690 smc-r and also found the bottom to be lacking some punch. Felt like my drz with fcr had more snap.

I've been reading that an open airbox, slip-on and Evo1 map (same as Akra map) will improve the response and performance of the engine a lot, as it runs lean from the factory.

I just received an SC Projects slip-on and airbox in the mail yesterday. will get it installed and mapped this week and let u know how it feels!

~ Chris

·
Registered
153 Posts
1) I feel like the front fork/shockabsorber is really hard. I noticed that the COM setting was 1click away from the softest setting. Is this normal? What "click settings" are you guys riding?

After about 1000 miles my softened up. I ended up at the soft recommended settings.

2) I think the gear ratio is a bit high compared to my old Husky (which i liked alot). Have anyone changed the rear sprocket? What size is recommended?

Two up in the rear.

3) I feel like the engine is not that aggressive and brutal, but more like a steady pull. Is this the normal characteristic of this engine?

What map? They come on standard #3. Change to number 2. More snap.

4) Does my 2014 have the "2nd and 3rd gear restriction"?

I think so

5) I have Acra slip-on but original map. Should i ask the dealer to change my map?

Running Wings with stock map, have heard good things about the new KTM Acra map but have not had a chance to have it flashed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Get the Evo 1/Akra map with a slip-on and open airbox! I just had mine done and it runs a lot better!!
Just dont get the SC Projects slip-on! Its obnoxiously loud IMO.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Some feedback

A fellow rider bought the 2014 SMCR, Put the SC Project can (loud as !) running stock map. Seems bit sluggish to my 2013. Recommended he drop front sprocket 1 tooth (to 15T), easier first step then changing rear sprocket up 2T. My buddies 2008 was front 15T, rear 46T, replaced the stock ecu with a Vortex (insane) wheely monster, hard to keep front end down!
On my 2013 690 SMCR I have;
a) DNA air box filter (open)
b) Akro end can (from KTM)
(original stock KTM pipe from cylinder to end can, did not go for the $$$ Akro titanium pipe).
c) Evo 1 (Akro) mapping from the Tune ECU site.
(Fyi when KTM fitted my Akro end can they did not do the EVO 1 mapping as they said their tech rode the bike and no issues with using the stock map. Even with the DNA filter installed. I did the EVO 1 (Akro) mapping, 15 min idle, throttle resets, etc when i got bike home. Definitely a difference in performance.
d) then the Kevxtx's O2 Controller (15 min idle, throttle resets, etc).
(http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/17290-2012-690-sd-o2-controller-mod-67.html)
e) dropped front sprocket to 15tooth, all sprockets good, chain good, tension good (To date only have total 3436 kilometers on bike.)
f) running the KTM Map-Select rheostat on three (3) Standard.
g) i did then 2-3rd gear restriction demod (also on http://www.ktmforums.com)

I have not had any issues.
Only interested in Kevxtx's open loop fuel mod after reading comments the open loop A/F may be to lean. (See previous link reference).

Fyi, on my recent annual service at KTM I did not remove anything. Told KTM not to adjust any throttle play (cable, they like it loose before cable even engages).

KTM did not mention anything about A/F, mods or ECU faults, parameters etc. so... My guess is they didn't even plug diagnostics into bike, or did and did not see anything out of the KTM Ordinary.

Have fun!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Isn't yours a 2014? What throttle cable adjustment do u mean? Its ride-by-wire... not cables!

The map is necessary for sure otherwise with an upgraded exhaust and/or increase air intake from airbox or Pod filter the bike will become even more lean.

I'm thinking of dropping the front sprocket 1 tooth since i only ride in the city! Probably my last and final mod.

Btw. I replaced my SC Projects exhaust with a Wings exhaust and am extremely happy! Sounds much better and build quality is great too. Wish i went that route the first time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
A fellow rider bought the 2014 SMCR, Put the SC Project can (loud as !) running stock map. Seems bit sluggish to my 2013. Recommended he drop front sprocket 1 tooth (to 15T), easier first step then changing rear sprocket up 2T. My buddies 2008 was front 15T, rear 46T, replaced the stock ecu with a Vortex (insane) wheely monster, hard to keep front end down!
On my 2013 690 SMCR I have;
a) DNA air box filter (open)
b) Akro end can (from KTM)
(original stock KTM pipe from cylinder to end can, did not go for the $$$ Akro titanium pipe).
c) Evo 1 (Akro) mapping from the Tune ECU site.
(Fyi when KTM fitted my Akro end can they did not do the EVO 1 mapping as they said their tech rode the bike and no issues with using the stock map. Even with the DNA filter installed. I did the EVO 1 (Akro) mapping, 15 min idle, throttle resets, etc when i got bike home. Definitely a difference in performance.
d) then the Kevxtx's O2 Controller (15 min idle, throttle resets, etc).
(http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/duke/17290-2012-690-sd-o2-controller-mod-67.html)
e) dropped front sprocket to 15tooth, all sprockets good, chain good, tension good (To date only have total 3436 kilometers on bike.)
f) running the KTM Map-Select rheostat on three (3) Standard.
g) i did then 2-3rd gear restriction demod (also on http://www.ktmforums.com)

I have not had any issues.
Only interested in Kevxtx's open loop fuel mod after reading comments the open loop A/F may be to lean. (See previous link reference).

Fyi, on my recent annual service at KTM I did not remove anything. Told KTM not to adjust any throttle play (cable, they like it loose before cable even engages).

KTM did not mention anything about A/F, mods or ECU faults, parameters etc. so... My guess is they didn't even plug diagnostics into bike, or did and did not see anything out of the KTM Ordinary.

Have fun!

U're in Hong Kong?
Me too! Haven't seen any 2014 690 smc-r around. Where u live?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hk

Sent you a PM. Check out Hong Kong Superbikes on facebook for info on rides in HK.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts