SuperMoto Junkie banner

New or Prospective Members Please Read This First

239K views 1K replies 548 participants last post by  Remi701SM 
#1 · (Edited)
Welcome to SMJ, we are more than happy to have the opportunity to further infect you with the Supermoto Virus! :thumbup:

But first..., this section of the forum is typically the best place for your first post and is specifically for you to introduce yourself to the rest of the membership and perhaps tell us a little about yourself if you would like to do so. Feel free to give us the same kind of info you would introduce yourself to any new group with. Remember we are an international group and enjoy learning where you live, your riding background and/or what brought you to either own (or be intersted in) supermotos.

Remember, this spot is for your introduction and NOT the best place for your first questions, we have just met you. Our interest in this section is to see who you are, where you are from and find out a little about you since you have just joined our community. There are plenty of different specific sections in the forum that are vastly more appropriate for your questions and they will get more attention there .

Chances are also pretty good that your first questions may have been covered before as well. Please take the time to do some research on your specific concerns by simply trolling (or cruising) different forums that interest you to see if they have previously been or are currently being discussed.
You can also do more specific research by employing the SEARCH BUTTON underneath the header banner at the top of the page. Enter key words for whatever interests you (i.e. "Best Street Tard", "", "megan fox' :D, "street-legal requirements", etc.) and you are more than likely to get several pages of information to sate your curiosity.

Now that we have been introduced and you have done some preliminary reasearch, feel free to fire away with questions, comments, concerns, observations, ride alerts, ride reports or whatever. And always remember, every post is better if you can work in a pic. In fact, some demand them!

See less See more
Reactions: Rad1
#603 ·
Honda XR350R 1985, Clutch Questions

Hello and thank you,
I appreciate your welcoming me to this forum.
I am having problems with putting my bike back together
and the Clymer manuals SUCK. They cover way to many models
and years,
I am stuck it the part where the 4 bolts go on with springs behind them.
I call it the clutch butterfly, it has the needle bearings in the center and
I cannot figure out what I either have lost , or what I am doing wrong
I cannot imagine that they get bolted al the way down with the 4 springs compressed,
Any help is appreciated.
Happy New Year.2013 here we are, at some point if I do not
sell this bike, it will be a vintage super moto.

#4 ·
Intro

My name is frank I am brand x. I'm a noob to sumo but have been riding mc's for about 34 years including my starter briggs & straton mini, yea I was lucky I had a cool dad that rode and still does at 71. I have had around 21 different mc's (thanks pop) I have ridin dirt, superbikes, touring, drag raced, and now sumo. I love mc's of all sorts I own at this time a ktm 625 smc, harley shovel head ridgid frame handshift, sporster chopper project and am days away from purchasing a hayabusa. $ the only reason I don't have hundreds of bikes. One other cool toy is a 2 door sedan model ford I'm building with blown 454 it's chopped 7.658". I live in Spring Tx. and I'm a welder/fabricator by trade. Oh yea have a king cobra 50 hanging up was my sons race bike. I'm new at this forum stuff so hope that's cool.

#908 ·
My name is frank I am brand x. I'm a noob to sumo but have been riding mc's for about 34 years including my starter briggs & straton mini, yea I was lucky I had a cool dad that rode and still does at 71. I have had around 21 different mc's (thanks pop) I have ridin dirt, superbikes, touring, drag raced, and now sumo. I love mc's of all sorts I own at this time a ktm 625 smc, harley shovel head ridgid frame handshift, sporster chopper project and am days away from purchasing a hayabusa. $ the only reason I don't have hundreds of bikes. One other cool toy is a 2 door sedan model ford I'm building with blown 454 it's chopped 7.658". I live in Spring Tx. and I'm a welder/fabricator by trade. Oh yea have a king cobra 50 hanging up was my sons race bike. I'm new at this forum stuff so hope that's cool.
Hey brother... I'm from Midland Texas.. I think spring may be relatively close to midland.. Wouldn't mind meeting up with some smj's.. I'm a tech at pro Moto garage here in Midland we service and build dirt street toys bikes quads utvs.. Everything so I'm really looking forward to meeting new people worldwide as well as in my state....

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
New To Moto

Hello,
I'm Jeff Scott. I would say for about 3 years I've had a desire to buy a motorcycle for quite some time now. Now that I'm cruising at 30 years old I don't believe my scooter is adequate as my only motorized 2 wheel transportation. I'm joining this forum to hopefully learn a little and maybe find some people locally (Denver, CO) to ride with. I haven't purchased my motorcycle yet, so I'm looking for recommendations.

#34 ·
Suzuki Drz 400 SM you cant go wrong

Hello,
I'm Jeff Scott. I would say for about 3 years I've had a desire to buy a motorcycle for quite some time now. Now that I'm cruising at 30 years old I don't believe my scooter is adequate as my only motorized 2 wheel transportation. I'm joining this forum to hopefully learn a little and maybe find some people locally (Denver, CO) to ride with. I haven't purchased my motorcycle yet, so I'm looking for recommendations.
CONSDER A NEW OR USED SUZUKI DRZ 400 SUPERMOTO,THERE BEAUTIFUL,EASY 2 RIDE,AFFORDABLE,LOADS OF FUN,AND I LIKE 2 CALL THE ENGINES BULLETPROOF! YOU CANT GO WRONG,ASK ANYONE WHO HAS ONE,LOTS OWN ONE AND LOTS OWN MORE THAN ONE.REPLYS WELCOME?FROM SUPERMOTARD777.

#6 ·
New Here...

I'm Tim in Richmond, VA. I grew up riding dirt bikes and got into sport bikes almost 20 years ago. I have a 1995 CR80 in my shed that runs great but it's really just a yard toy. I have an old Honda GoldWing that allows me and my wife to spend time together. My real weapon of choice over the past year has been a 2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R. Last summer I crashed my VFR750 and broke my shoulder. Since then, I have not been able to enjoy the Aprilia for more than a couple of hours. Braking hard transfers too much weight to my arms/shoulders.

So... I wan to get into SM. I have my bike for sale on ebay and I intend to get a Husqvarna SM610 after the aprilia is gone. As soon as that happens, I'd love to hook up and ride with some of you guys.

#7 ·
My name is Patrick, I am 48, and live in S Illinois. I have ridden my 08 Buell Blast for the past 2 seasons, and have modded it to the point I am happy with it. Rather than trading in the Buell, and taking the depreciation hit in value... I may just buy my next scooter outright again, and keep both. One of my main motives for riding... after the sheer recreation aspect... is saving money in good weather by way of fuel economy. The SM bikes really appeal to me... especially the small displacement models.

#8 ·
New york Rider

Hey everyone,

My name is Jim, from suffolk county NY. I used to ride only off road from a cr80 to a few 250's . Now that there are plenty of old age homes on long island there are no off road places I feel comfortable riding at anymore(since I don't enjoy running from cop's). I was in the market of buying a new dirt bike 2 years ago and thought a dual sport bike would do me in good to mix some off road and street riding. unfortunately all the places I was riding are no longer assessable.
So I ride my DR650 with a real mixed group from V-rod's to GSXR's and now some supermoto's. Looks like I'll be on the streets moving forward.

#9 ·
My name is rich, from eastern Longisland. Just bolted on a set of 17" wheels my street legal ktm and im having blast with it. Ive been riding mostly street and trackdays with my gsxr for the last 8 years. Before that, I mostly road dirt growing up. I gotta say Nothing compares to riding a motard. Im really looking forward to bringing my ktm to the track. SM rocks. Im allways up for a good street blast on sun morns.

#13 ·
lurker speaks

Hello supermoto lovers, Jay here from Ontario, Canada. I bought my 1st bike later in life then most, at 30 I caught the bug. Now at 51 I've owned - 90 gs500e,90 vfr750,98 vtr1000,01cbr929rr,00cbr600f4 track bike, a couple of crf50's, one with a 88 kit(put a hurt on me), and 06 crf450x. So I've scratched knees, crashed on the street, race track, and dirt,(nothing to bad, knockin on wood here) crap at wheelie's, stoppie's(forgetaboutit),jumps chickinshit, but try some. So anyway I've been checking out your bikes for quite some time now, and resently purchaced a bone stock used 08 KTM 690 SMC, she had 6000kms showing on the hazey clocks, with large healthy chickin strips on the oem rubber. Very fun bike, had to do some mods ,will try to get some pics up on the KTM SMC photo thread soon. Thanks to my fellow SMC riders that have posted photos and advice on bike improvment. Cheers!

#16 ·
Sumo noob

Hi all, My name is David Dickey from Pensacola, Fl. Im 24 and recently purchased my very first motorcycle. I bought a 2007 DRZ400sm and am extremely happy with my decision. I have little experience with motorcycles, but have been getting very comfortable with the DRZ. I look forward to talking w/ members and learning from this forum.:bannana:

#18 ·
Hi, my name is Jason Perry I'm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. I'm building a 2006 CRF450X into a 518cc Fire breather, complete with: Pro-Wheel 17's, Noleen J6 suspension mods (Thanks, Clark!), Flexx Bars (Thanks, Chris!!), and Shinko Raven-003 Tires. I'm here looking for suggestions, riding buddies and cool info. I'm new to SuMo but have raced quads for 10 years. Hit me up!

#19 ·
Hey hows it going my name is hamish. Im from Brisbane, Queensland Australia. Basically the run down is: Very limited dirt bike riding as a young'n. Thats it. My mate has has an '04 570 husky. couldnt really take my eyes off it, so decided to enter the world of the sumo.
In july this year i bought an '07 sm450r husky with 1000km's on the clock. Excellent buy. Really itching to take it onto a motard track. Only probs is there aren't any around so im substituting with bush tracks.
I have already posted a thread as i needed some quick help with a clutch prob. Response was instant. so thanks to all you with your vast amounts of moto knowledge. Thats about it. Good to be aboard.:thumbup:

#20 ·
Name is Sean, joined a few weeks ago to check out the classifieds, this is my first post.

I live in south Florida, not the greatest riding place, but I recently decided I wanted to get an SM bike or something similar. Used to ride bikes and ATV's as a kid (from like 6-16yo). I'm 28 now and ride friends sporkbikes now and then.

I think I've decided on buying a Versys, or just getting a salvage EX650 and building it up as a cross SM/fighter. Seems like a great powerful motor and a decently light bike. I think if I had the cash I might just buy a KTM and call it a day, but I'm kinda looking forward to building something custom.

Probably what got me wanting a SM bike is the videos I've seen of guys sliding into the turns and just having a blast on these bikes. For 2 years Ive been on/off pro/pro-am drifting in FL and nationally and the thought of learning the technique on a bike just really intrigues me. Also I wouldn't mind getting 60mpg+ on my daily commute and have something fun to ride on the weekend.

So hey everyone, I hope to be making a post of my purchase soon and laying some plans for how I will build it!

-Sean

#21 ·
Hi Guys, im Riaan from south africa, and i work for a BMW Dealership in pretoria, just bought my BMW G450X and going to turn it into a SM, but find it hard as there arn't a lot of wheels and hubs yet for this bike, so it seems i would have to import most myself. Any idee's on where to get the best prices??

#23 · (Edited)
"Remember, this spot is for your introduction and NOT the best place for your first questions, we have just met you."

So..., all we know about you now is you have just acquired a DR650 and you don't pay much attention to the first post in a thread. How about telling us a little more about yourself?

Yes, from the way you describe it (without a picture) it is most likely a pigtail that stays hooked to the battery for easy access when you want to trickle charge it. The previous owner evidently did not unhook the pigtail and you ended up with it. Unfortunately the missing "part" is the Deltran Battery Tender itself with a long length of cord that has the male plug. They are available at your friendly dealership, Cycle Gear (or other accessory shops) and on the internet (Google "Deltran Battery Tender"). As it is the business end of the system it's going to cost you about $35 (depending on where you chose to purchase) to make the pigtail you have worth anything.

#24 ·
Sorry about that, new to the whole blog thing. Thanks for the input. Guess i need to figure out how the "threads" work... Seems that there is certain pages for specific riders then more specific questions? Looking forward to getting the dr650 on the road a lot. hopefully the local CMA chapter will be a good start. rode dirt for many years then in college bought a gpz750. the DR is where it is at, both the fun of a dirt bike while being legal on the road...

#25 · (Edited)
Sorry about that, new to the whole blog thing. Thanks for the input. Guess i need to figure out how the "threads" work...
No worries. :thumbup: When you have some spare time (We all have loads of that right?) just cruise through all the separate sections to see what's up and how they work.

Seems that there is certain pages for specific riders then more specific questions?
Absolutely and after a little while looking around on the board it gets easier. You'll know where to go or post for your specific needs, interests and concerns. Pretty soon you'll be the guy answering questions for others about the stuff you've researched or experienced.

Looking forward to getting the dr650 on the road a lot. hopefully the local CMA chapter will be a good start. rode dirt for many years then in college bought a gpz750. the DR is where it is at, both the fun of a dirt bike while being legal on the road...
See, you're getting it already. That there's a right proper intro. Welcome to SMJ!

CMA? Christian Motorcyclists Association? Where would your local chapter happen to be?

#26 ·
Hello. My name is Jeremy, and I am from Nova Scotia, Canada, and I have been bitten by the SM bug! I'm 23, and I have been riding for 2 seasons on an 06 gsxr 600, but today I just confirmed that I am trading it for a 2005 525 smr! I just started doing track days this year, and I have owned an 06 gsxr 600, a 2003 gsxr 600 and a 2001 r1, so this will be my first thumper, and first sumo!
I have read a few things on smj about this particular model smr, that I otherwise would have never known, so I would like to thank all of you knowledgable people for helping me make my decision!:bowdown: I am pretty upset at the moment though. My 06 was the first bike I ever rode, and I put alot of time and money into making it what it is, but I believe this is the right choice to make.
I will be making it street legal, and going to as many track days as money will allow. We only have a road race course here, so no real sumo racing, but I would love to try out jumping or riding stairs, and going all kinds of places sportbikes can't go.:arsenal
I'll have 100000 questions, I'm sure, so I look forward to using the search function! :thumbup:
Here is a pick of both the bikes. The gixxer is cherry, and went with new race skins, and the ktm is beat to hell and comes with the extra wheels, 2 sets of tires, tire warmers, freshly rebuilt engine with pins welded and ball bearings, new 540 kit and some battle wounds!
Thanks for having me on here.

Attachments