SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I was in a similar boat myself. I went with the DRZ400SM (I chose new, as I am very OCD)

I wanted a KTM 500EXC or the DRZ..the WR250X isn't available new so I nixed it from my list. (Nebraska also doesnt allow me to license anything that says offroad use on the title)

I chose the DRZ as parts are readily available and they are super rock steady reliable. The KTM was very nice, but I was looking at spending a good bit more coin on getting a supermoto tire/wheel set and as well as playing with the gearing. I wanted something that didn't require much for attention of maintenance as I am 29 and work full time and have been house hunting with the other half and am also going to be going back to school i just don't have much free time as of late. (also am busy with other projects/hobbies too) So I picked up the DRZ. It is my first bike for the street and seems to be a very solid starting point. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

After I finish school and we have our house (and I have my new shop space/garage) I will more than likely add a KTM 500EXC and start a conversion. But I can say that the DRZ is perfect for reliability and commuting and having some fun on and can raise some cane with the best of them. The KTM has a good bit more power but she also requires a little more attention. It was pretty tough and then when I landed 0% for the DRZ it was deal sealed.

Not much but it's a few of what I thought about when looking after I had narrowed it to the DRZ or the 500EXC...may not help much. But you will love corning on a motard ;) Oh and I defiantly wanted liquid cooling...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea same here, Florida is extremely tough on off road conversions it is almost physically impossible. I'm like that too, at least when it comes down to something this impoortant and wouldnt mind going new, I just really want the best I can get for my money and the drz400 really has given me so many reasons, but there is always something that pulls me to that KTM690 :hmmm: I guess its the more power and the highway commute that really get to me.

How is the bike, how does it handle?? Everything? I have never ridden a supermoto I can't give any insight on it :damn:

CONVINCE ME PLEASE
It handles very very well..Trust me...the power is nice but isnt everything...remember a rider/driver mod in the twisties is better than all the power ever. And usually will pass less inexperienced riders on more powerful bike. ;)

I am glad I got my DRZ and as for mods/parts they are common and fairly inexperienced compared to other options really....and did i mention reliability?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts