SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, names Kcim and I've been looking to get a supermoto or enduro for the past month and have been on the undying hunt for some good information. Seems to me that this site is the best out there in retrieving the exact information i need. :thumbup:

Too be specific, I have come to the conclusion on five motos. :headscrat

-KTM 690 sm +

-DRZ400sm +

-DR650 -

-XR650l -

-KTM530 EXCR -

All the bikes I mentioned will be bought used on deals I have found online. I do really do not want to finance.

I've done as much lurking for information as possible, but I feel as if I'll will get better feedback with my own post! I really would like as many replies on this as possible!

I plan on riding mostly on pavement, "maybe" the occasionally rough back road (Though they are slowly disappearing here in South Florida :damn:)
-Power is not a problem
-Want something good from the get-go, not something I will have to put a lot of money into just to make it "acceptable"
-Highway riding will probably be in the 30-100 mile range at the most
-Something fun, with character. Not sluggish and "slow".
-I'm 18, if this helps in any way??
-Long term relationship

Thank you in advance for the replies I appreciate the input as this will be my first vehicle and I intend to enjoy it to it's full extent!

(P.s.) The plus and negatives show the bikes I am leaning towards and away from.

·
Registered
427 Posts

here is my xr650l. i bought it last may bonestock with .8 miles on it. i can't really say much i guess because since these pictures i have new forks (still waiting on triples from the machinist :arsenal) the only "stock" items left are motor and tranny, and the frame now. but i love it to death and it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well I was in a similar boat myself. I went with the DRZ400SM (I chose new, as I am very OCD)

I wanted a KTM 500EXC or the DRZ..the WR250X isn't available new so I nixed it from my list. (Nebraska also doesnt allow me to license anything that says offroad use on the title)

I chose the DRZ as parts are readily available and they are super rock steady reliable. The KTM was very nice, but I was looking at spending a good bit more coin on getting a supermoto tire/wheel set and as well as playing with the gearing. I wanted something that didn't require much for attention of maintenance as I am 29 and work full time and have been house hunting with the other half and am also going to be going back to school i just don't have much free time as of late. (also am busy with other projects/hobbies too) So I picked up the DRZ. It is my first bike for the street and seems to be a very solid starting point. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

After I finish school and we have our house (and I have my new shop space/garage) I will more than likely add a KTM 500EXC and start a conversion. But I can say that the DRZ is perfect for reliability and commuting and having some fun on and can raise some cane with the best of them. The KTM has a good bit more power but she also requires a little more attention. It was pretty tough and then when I landed 0% for the DRZ it was deal sealed.

Not much but it's a few of what I thought about when looking after I had narrowed it to the DRZ or the 500EXC...may not help much. But you will love corning on a motard ;) Oh and I defiantly wanted liquid cooling...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was in a similar boat myself. I went with the DRZ400SM (I chose new, as I am very OCD)

I wanted a KTM 500EXC or the DRZ..the WR250X isn't available new so I nixed it from my list. (Nebraska also doesnt allow me to license anything that says offroad use on the title)

I chose the DRZ as parts are readily available and they are super rock steady reliable. The KTM was very nice, but I was looking at spending a good bit more coin on getting a supermoto tire/wheel set and as well as playing with the gearing. I wanted something that didn't require much for attention of maintenance as I am 29 and work full time and have been house hunting with the other half and am also going to be going back to school i just don't have much free time as of late. (also am busy with other projects/hobbies too) So I picked up the DRZ. It is my first bike for the street and seems to be a very solid starting point. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

After I finish school and we have our house (and I have my new shop space/garage) I will more than likely add a KTM 500EXC and start a conversion. But I can say that the DRZ is perfect for reliability and commuting and having some fun on and can raise some cane with the best of them. The KTM has a good bit more power but she also requires a little more attention. It was pretty tough and then when I landed 0% for the DRZ it was deal sealed.

Not much but it's a few of what I thought about when looking after I had narrowed it to the DRZ or the 500EXC...may not help much. But you will love corning on a motard ;) Oh and I defiantly wanted liquid cooling...

Yea same here, Florida is extremely tough on off road conversions it is almost physically impossible. I'm like that too, at least when it comes down to something this impoortant and wouldnt mind going new, I just really want the best I can get for my money and the drz400 really has given me so many reasons, but there is always something that pulls me to that KTM690 :hmmm: I guess its the more power and the highway commute that really get to me.

How is the bike, how does it handle?? Everything? I have never ridden a supermoto I can't give any insight on it :damn:

CONVINCE ME PLEASE

·
Registered
427 Posts

That dual exhuast :cheers:
How does the xr feel in power and highway commute I was bent on one for a while but I kinda fell off the bandwagon for reasons unknown :headscrat
thank you!!
powerwise, you aren't exactly winnin competitions there. but i have rode drz's before, and it has more than them for sure. it has a lot of low end torque, it kinda falls off in the higher rev's. with the fcr carb matched up to that very free flowing exhaust it is a very smooth power. the biggest thing for me is i put 6000 miles on last year and all i had to do was change oil and check valves (which didn't move from factory spec's at all) i haven't rode with the new forks yet but i am certain that they are going to improve handling on this PIG. i will say that at 60 you can stand up on the seat and ride a wheelie out all day long :D ask me how i know

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you!!
powerwise, you aren't exactly winnin competitions there. but i have rode drz's before, and it has more than them for sure. it has a lot of low end torque, it kinda falls off in the higher rev's. with the fcr carb matched up to that very free flowing exhaust it is a very smooth power. the biggest thing for me is i put 6000 miles on last year and all i had to do was change oil and check valves (which didn't move from factory spec's at all) i haven't rode with the new forks yet but i am certain that they are going to improve handling on this PIG. i will say that at 60 you can stand up on the seat and ride a wheelie out all day long :D ask me how i know[/QUOTE]

I didn't even imagine the Xr could pull that off :clap: I don't know why I have been undermining the Honda since I have always been a Honda lover my whole life. (Cr85r, little TOO big for it now :laughingr)

But I think that all supermotos (or at least the ones I'm considering getting) kinda just fall off at high revs, especially past the 70-80 mph mark, or am I wrong?

I'm a student on this stuff still :popcorn:

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey now!!! i rock a yz 85 yet, im 22 and 220 pounds. great beater bike. picked it up for 400 and it's great for cruising to the neighbors and whatnot. plus if i wanna get some, all you gotta do is teacha girl how to ride. take the big bike and 85 out. chicks love it. but yes here's photo proof it's all in technique with the wheelies.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
hey now!!! i rock a yz 85 yet, im 22 and 220 pounds. great beater bike. picked it up for 400 and it's great for cruising to the neighbors and whatnot. plus if i wanna get some, all you gotta do is teacha girl how to ride. take the big bike and 85 out. chicks love it. but yes here's photo proof it's all in technique with the wheelies.

Damn, you have given me something to do this weekend then, time to teach my girl how to ride a 2 stroke :thumbup:
The 85 was so fun(reason I love motorcyles), haven't taken it out for a WHILE, planning on selling it though for the supermoto money, hoping to get the most out of the 07 cr85r. What do you think? :headscrat

·
Registered
427 Posts
i'd keep it but that's just me. i got 5-6 friends that all have mid-size bikes, 85's and 125 4 strokes/ crf 150's we have 4-5 tracks we have built in the area with 20-25 foot jumps and whatnot. they are a blast to go rip up after work at night and so-on so that's the main reason i would keep it. we have way too much fun on them. but then again i'm one of them guy's that sells nothing and buys more lol. 3 snowmobiles the 85 the 650, lookin at a cr250 this weekend. a car and a truck and a 4x4 quad. my insurance sucks to be honest but then again. i have most every toy a guy would want. although with the money i have into them i could have had a decent down payment on a house.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i'd keep it but that's just me. i got 5-6 friends that all have mid-size bikes, 85's and 125 4 strokes/ crf 150's we have 4-5 tracks we have built in the area with 20-25 foot jumps and whatnot. they are a blast to go rip up after work at night and so-on so that's the main reason i would keep it. we have way too much fun on them. but then again i'm one of them guy's that sells nothing and buys more lol. 3 snowmobiles the 85 the 650, lookin at a cr250 this weekend. a car and a truck and a 4x4 quad. my insurance sucks to be honest but then again. i have most every toy a guy would want. although with the money i have into them i could have had a decent down payment on a house.
Haha having these many dirt toys should be illegal! :laughingr I wish I had that type of environment here in Florida. It's crap....... the closest track near my home was an 1 and 30 minutes away, that ultimately closed and I would be forced to travel more than two hours to a track HELL NO. So I was always forced to ride it on the street......then the cops came....... :damn: So really all this sums up to wanting a supermoto, a DIRTBIKE with street tires and LEGAL!, couldn't get any better than that! I guess that's where my passion comes from.

All we have is the beach, boring after a while nonetheless. Dirt biking.........whenever the hell you want, rain or shine :bike:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, names Kcim and I've been looking to get a supermoto or enduro for the past month and have been on the undying hunt for some good information. Seems to me that this site is the best out there in retrieving the exact information i need. :thumbup:

Too be specific, I have come to the conclusion on five motos. :headscrat

-KTM 690 sm +

-DRZ400sm +

-DR650 -

-XR650l -

-KTM530 EXCR -

All the bikes I mentioned will be bought used on deals I have found online. I do really do not want to finance.

I've done as much lurking for information as possible, but I feel as if I'll will get better feedback with my own post! I really would like as many replies on this as possible!

I plan on riding mostly on pavement, "maybe" the occasionally rough back road (Though they are slowly disappearing here in South Florida :damn:)
-Power is not a problem
-Want something good from the get-go, not something I will have to put a lot of money into just to make it "acceptable"
-Highway riding will probably be in the 30-100 mile range at the most
-Something fun, with character. Not sluggish and "slow".
-I'm 18, if this helps in any way??
-Long term relationship

Thank you in advance for the replies I appreciate the input as this will be my first vehicle and I intend to enjoy it to it's full extent!

(P.s.) The plus and negatives show the bikes I am leaning towards and away from.
I've had to go back to driving 4 wheels again after my streetbike got totaled and for a while I've been thinking about a sumo. My buddy has a wr250x that he's completely stunted out, and while I haven't had much time in the saddle yet, I will until I get another bike (he said I can use it as long as I need since he has a CBR600) and I've been looking around on craigslist and I'm finding pretty cheap dr650's around that are in great shape. I'm not a big guy, 5'10 at 140lbs, so I can't handle a tank, but I've heard the dr650 is pretty easy to adjust the height. I'm mainly just around town, but I would love to do long distances every once in a while. Also, something that doesn't require constant tinkering as I'm new to bikes in general.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yea same here, Florida is extremely tough on off road conversions it is almost physically impossible. I'm like that too, at least when it comes down to something this impoortant and wouldnt mind going new, I just really want the best I can get for my money and the drz400 really has given me so many reasons, but there is always something that pulls me to that KTM690 :hmmm: I guess its the more power and the highway commute that really get to me.

How is the bike, how does it handle?? Everything? I have never ridden a supermoto I can't give any insight on it :damn:

CONVINCE ME PLEASE
It handles very very well..Trust me...the power is nice but isnt everything...remember a rider/driver mod in the twisties is better than all the power ever. And usually will pass less inexperienced riders on more powerful bike. ;)

I am glad I got my DRZ and as for mods/parts they are common and fairly inexperienced compared to other options really....and did i mention reliability?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The DRZ is not the fastest but is the best all around bike. Low maintenance & great prices for new or used parts are available on EBay! I bought my 1st DRZ & rode it for some time. Then a friend had a 510 Husky for sale. It was lighter & more HP then the DRZ & I bought it & sold the DRZ. The Husky just never felt as GOOD as the drz & my friends all said I was slower on it. SO! Sold the Husky & bought another DRZ & now I'm happy as a clam again!!

Plus if you are a good rider you can out ride the other guys!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Out of the choices you have there I would say the 530. I've never ridden a 690 and it seems like an incredible bike but judging from the other 600s I've ridden (625smc and xr650l) I feel like the 600s don't give you the true dirtbike feel that you get from a 450 based bike (5xx Are still based on a 450). The drz is not a bad chOice but there still a bit heavy and underpowered. The power can be fixed pretty easy with a fcr and exhaust but the weight your stuck with. Either way don't stress out too much. As long as you can get a decent deal you can always resell for something else. I went through 3 different bikes in the first 3 years of my street riding career before I found a keeper and turned a profit in the Process

1 - 16 of 16 Posts