SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy ya'all. My name is alex and im currently living out in Las Vegas. Ill be moving down to Prescott, AZ once my enlistment is up and that is the reason for me becoming interested with supermoto bikes. I had a 450f that i sold to fund a Harley Nightster for commuting. Diesel sure is getting expensive nowadays. Pretty soon here id like to sell the hog and get supermoto style bike because i will be using it to commute when i move but will most likely be living in national forest and I have to drive down dirt roads a part of the way. Im 6-4 about 210-220 so im interested in some of the larger cc bikes(610 husky, 625/690 ktm). I have been afraid to make the change over to fuel injection but my 08 harley is equipped with it and its a pleasure to start/drive on a daily basis. Would you fine, knowledgeable folks have any advice on which route to take? Im looking to purchase in the next few months. Whats it like commuting 20-30 minutes on one? How is it cruising on the highway(60-70)? It looks like too much too resist for someone who loves both the street and the dirt like myself. Look forward to your responses and thanks in advance for all the advice.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Welcome. I am suprised the Harley is running, if you were burning Diesel in it. :anim_peep:

I am sure all the nuts will chime in with plenty of advice here shortly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
197 Posts
sup bro,

im 6'2" ~ 185 lbs, and have a 510 smr 2010, the bike is plenty powerful for a guy your size, but not anywhere near the riding comfort then a harley just as a heads up!

welcome to smj~

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
haha the diesel is for the 2500 cummins sir
:D

Just trying to give you a proper "SMJ" welcome!

I'm 230# before gear. My DRZ is stock with a jet kit. Before the thread gets all crazy, I feel obligated just to say; Don't rule out the DR-Z400SM. It is a much more capable, reliable and affordable bike than many give credit.

I've raced, toured, rode double, off roaded and hammered my DRZ and although has no where near the performance (power to weight) of my KTM, I never give it a second thought. It just plain works.

Carry on...

:)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Welcome and thanks for serving :thumbup: Now get rid of the Harley and start sumo shopping:lol:

Husky 610 or 630. 630 is on sale for like 6 grand. KTM 625/690's would be nice too. Take a look at the Berg 570's while you're at it. Don't overlook DRZ's, they are fun reliable machines.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was actually very attracted to the drz but i figured the 400 would be slightly underpowered. ive had some purty fast toys in the past and im starting to feel slightly numb to speed haha. How are these bikes on the highway? The nightster is fairing-less and i enjoy being in the wind but what kind of experience is it on the open road?

·
Registered
197 Posts
i was actually very attracted to the drz but i figured the 400 would be slightly underpowered. ive had some purty fast toys in the past and im starting to feel slightly numb to speed haha. How are these bikes on the highway? The nightster is fairing-less and i enjoy being in the wind but what kind of experience is it on the open road?
a 510 on a highway with not too bad of a wind blowing can push somewhere around the 90s (i had mine up to 110 but it didnt feel too great) all stock, without wobbling of the front tire, anything above 90 in my opinion is pushing it a bit and wobble starts to occur, might be different by each bike as im not sure if its normal, but thats what ive experienced. i rarely go on highways myself, which is what i got the trailer and hitch for :)

the 400sm are by far more capable then some people make it sound like, i went out on a ride with 2 400sm's last weekend and was impressed what them things are capable of in the right person's hand!

in the end, its really the best thing for you to go to some dealers / craigslist guys and test ride the bikes your interested in, and pick whatever one suites your needs best.

(my opinion as said)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the info. the harley tops out at around the same speeds anyway(the ape hangers dont help) so it sounds like the feeling at cruising speed (at least wind resistance) will be similar. I think that suzuki is a very sharp bike and well worth the money if they are as bullet proof as yall say. Im going to look at an 08 690smc this weekend(my first choice) but ill certainly head over to the suzuki dealer and sit my big ass on a drz. as long as that 400 is pretty snappy id have to say its between those two. I cant really find any of the huskies for sale privately and there is no dealer here. Thats the only reason i havent considered them. (yet) thanks and keep the info comin fellas

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I had a new '08 Hayabusa, bought the DRZ new in '09 and never rode the Busa again.

DRZ is more fun and although you can't "cheat" and just run off with a twist of the wrist, the DRZ is more rewarding all the way around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts