SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 07 610SM was running great. I parked it for two days and it would not start. No spark. I replaced coil. But, no help. I took the bike in
to local Husky shop and replaced stator. No help. Replaced ECU under seat and bike would start, But the engine would not rev up
and backfired. I read about the magnets coming loose and the engine sounds out of time even at idle.
I am just looking for any thoughts that might get me back up to speed. I'm at loss as to where to look next.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
487 Posts
It does sound like ignition or timing. It may be time to go back to basics. Case covers off and rocker cover off to check the timing. My 610 used to jump teeth on the camchain gear but that sometimes points at other engine trouble. Then check the ignition. The flywheel may have moved. This needs special tools like a flywheel puller though. It's worth doing though for peace of mind. The ignition pickup gap may be off and that's an easier check. You want it to be about a credit cards width from the flywheel timing ridge (no idea if that's the correct term) - Don't use an actual credit card as the flywheel magnets will mess up your mag strip on the card.

If you've got a new spark plug in there that's good. It's then time to look at the carb. Does it seal well? No blocked jets? No exhaust blockages? Flow from tank to carb is unobstructed?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Wanted to thank goldenzim for the input. After removing the magnet wheel, alternator?, a close check did reveal a loose magnet.
I have read here that there is a someone that repairs these magnets. Will look for an address.
MajNullo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts