SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been lusting over the idea of owning a sumo since 2001, and now, considering my first purchase. I'm looking at a used drz400sm w/low seat, but I do have some questions. First off, I'm short! I stand 5'4"(inseam is 29-30") but i'm 215-220 during off season. Now, with my weight, will the bike sag enough for me to put tip toes the bike? I dont need to flat foot, nor do I need to have both feet to touch the ground. Also, how long do the tires last, and has anyone used a harder touring compound? I'm trying to use the sm as my daily ride and for touring.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
the drz for me tall on me and i stand 5'11'' with a 34 inseam and i cant for the life of me flat foot it. the low gel seat only offers maybe an ince lower , right now i have stocker dunlopers and i have about 3400 miles of comuting and the only bad ware is the flat mohawk on the rear from straights.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hrmm... :headscrat

I'm a hair over 6ft, and I can *just* get flat on both feet...

I'd think your best bet is to install a link kit to lower the bike enough. The DRZ being the rugged bike it is, the kit would probably have little, if any affect on 'normal' riding. You could soften the suspension a bit, but I'm approx your weight and I don't know that you want to go too soft...

But then, that's just my opinion.

One thing I can say though, is that you'll LOVE the DRZ. It's gotta be some of the best fun you can have on the road... You'll read lots about how heavy/sluggish it is, and yadda yadda... face it, it's not a race bike- don't expect it to perform like one. But you *can* expect it to be much more fun than one person should be allowed to have on a bike. :thumbup:

...ease of maintenance, availability of parts and things like that just add to it's popularity.

Have fun! :bike:
S.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hrmm... :headscrat

I'm a hair over 6ft, and I can *just* get flat on both feet...

I'd think your best bet is to install a link kit to lower the bike enough. The DRZ being the rugged bike it is, the kit would probably have little, if any affect on 'normal' riding. You could soften the suspension a bit, but I'm approx your weight and I don't know that you want to go too soft...

But then, that's just my opinion.

One thing I can say though, is that you'll LOVE the DRZ. It's gotta be some of the best fun you can have on the road... You'll read lots about how heavy/sluggish it is, and yadda yadda... face it, it's not a race bike- don't expect it to perform like one. But you *can* expect it to be much more fun than one person should be allowed to have on a bike. :thumbup:

...ease of maintenance, availability of parts and things like that just add to it's popularity.

Have fun! :bike:
S.

It seems that I will have to do a combination of both, the corbin seat and koubla links. All I need is a few toes to touch tera firma.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you're looking to 'tour' as in 400 mile days--I'm not sure even the corbin seat is liveable. I've found the stock plank to be downright brutal after about 50 freeway miles. In the hills it's good for 150 or so but on the straight and boring...ugh.

·
Registered
923 Posts
im 6'1" and get both feet no problem down look go to the motorcycle shop and sit on one its a super fun bike this is my first drz400sm i have been riding sport bikes sense i have been 16 im 42 now and i just got the new 2008 kawasakizx10r funny i race at track days race in the hills with buddies . but when it comes to picking what bike to ride that drz comes to win more its fun riding with my sport bike buddies and keeping up with them in the turns sure in a straight line there gone but who cares about that anyone can go fast in a line but in the turns the drz400sm kicks ass

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're looking to 'tour' as in 400 mile days--I'm not sure even the corbin seat is liveable. I've found the stock plank to be downright brutal after about 50 freeway miles. In the hills it's good for 150 or so but on the straight and boring...ugh.
Ya, I heard it was harsh. It was between this and the dr650 for touring but I wanted a good offroader as well. With that said, the dr650 is still an option.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Here is a link to a local board where a girl (Yana) rider a DRZ and flat foots - impressive considering she's 5' 2". She was nice enough to do a little write up with exactly what she did. BTW, I'm 5' 5" ish (5' 6" on a good day) and I have no problem holding my bike up (well, on the street - in the mud that's a different story hahah) The bike is light enough that one foot part way down usually does it for me on the street.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3343350&postcount=38

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a link to a local board where a girl (Yana) rider a DRZ and flat foots - impressive considering she's 5' 2". She was nice enough to do a little write up with exactly what she did. BTW, I'm 5' 5" ish (5' 6" on a good day) and I have no problem holding my bike up (well, on the street - in the mud that's a different story hahah) The bike is light enough that one foot part way down usually does it for me on the street.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3343350&postcount=38
I've read that whole link the other day, good right up. All I need is one foot down to make it through the streets, hell, its what I do with all my street bikes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i have to laugh.

6'2" 230lbs.
07 drz all stock

part back roads, part interstate. one way was 97 miles to the trails.
put almost 20 miles while in the trees
another 15 going around the town *havent seen things in a while*
97 miles back to home.

i'm still seeing it as a dirt bike and ride a good percentage of the time standing up.

the only thing i would like to change is swapping the stock pegs for a set of fastway pegs. you can adjust the height and pitch of the fastway, which will likely be a BIG help for a shorter person! cost around $130

chris<pixelmonkey>:D

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi, im 5ft 6 with just a 29 inch inseam. i bought a new dzr last month, iv'e dropped the forks about an inch, i can just tip toe, but with no real problems, as the bike is so light. It's just a stretch getting my leg over!! the stock tyres are crap, they take forever to warm up and have given me some hairy moments already, i wouldn't go for any harder compound. Im thinking about a corbin seat, but once im up and running it's just fun fun fun

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may go with the drz over the dr650 due to the narrower seat. I figure its easier touch the ground when I dont have to go around a bulky seat.

Cabbage: did you get the lower seat installed or did you just drop the forks by an inch?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So far iv'e just dropped the forks about an inch, I have no problems with the bike as it is but i think i might try a lower seat for self confidence, and stop me rupturing my groin everytime i get on or off. I like the idea of the shorter link and bar raisers as well, we'll have to see

1 - 20 of 20 Posts