SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a passion for motorcycles and have ridden on the street and dirt for many years. Last week I had a class from So Cal Supermoto at Adams Motorsports Park and had such a great time that I am now hooked on supermoto! I can’t believe the fun I’ve been missing, and have only scratched the surface and have a lot to learn. Motocross was my favorite for quite a while and I have a 2014 Honda CRF450R sitting in my garage. My desire is to convert it to Supermoto use. Any advice on what works well for my bike is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
to be honest... if you want a properly sorted track SM, buy one that someone else dumped money into

by the time you buy wheels, brakes, slipper, suspension you've got a pretty good chunk of change into it (say 2k, 1500, 1k, 1k) - enough that you can get close to buying a bike of that era already converted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You definitely bring up a good point to be considered. I have to weigh the conversion costs of my bike with buying a sorted SM bike with a maintenance/use history mostly based on my trust of the seller. Although a leak down test could confirm a solid engine on a potential bike.

One benefit of keeping my bike is that I bought it new and have done all the maintenance/modifications myself and no one else has ridden it except for a couple of friends for a few laps to assess my modifications.

Food for thought for sure.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
if you just want to get your feet wet, you can throw a set of Warp9 (or even cheaper) 17s on with a caliper adapter, tires, and some sliders. you can do that for ~1500. https://toxicmotoracing.com/shop/sm-conversions/217-warp-9-racer-conversion-1.html#/sprocket_size-44/front_rim_size-17x3_5/awp_img_rim_color-black_anodized/awp_img_hub_color-black/rear_rim_size-17x5/awp_img_spoke_color-silver_polished_stainless_steel/awp_img_nipple_color-silver_polished_stainless_steel/awp_img_warp_9_rotors-wave_rotors_320mm_front_matching_rear/hub_option-standard_drive/hardware_options-standard_rotor_sprocket_bolts/tire_model-metzeler_racetec_sm_k1_front_k1_rear/tube_or_tubeless-traditional_inner_tubes for example.

if you want to do much track, or especially race, the stock caliper is nowhere near adequate and you'll overheat it in short order. MX suspension is ok on a supermoto track but not ideal. you'll find yourself wanting a slipper too.

and yes, I'd try to find a low hour bike from someone who seems to maintain it well.

as an example: earlier this year I got my 2015 450XCF for $6200. Excel rims on Talon hubs (16.5 front/5" rear), Beringer 6pot/rotor/master, Hinson slipper/cover, full FMF Ti exhaust, Red Baron 12mm triples, sliders, nice stand, etc. 42 hours on it when I bought it, with 8 hours on a Thumper Racing 520 big bore kit. Included a full extra set of plastics, stock clutch, both SXF and XCF tank, and so on. it was spotless, and pretty much not a scratch on it. I have no idea how he kept it so clean. Seems to have been well maintained too, and I had a significant number of mutual friends (found it on FB).

if you look at what the SM stuff costs, it's close to what I paid for the complete bike.

I haven't had any problems with it, although who knows if I eventually will. Doesn't mean you can necessarily find the same sort of deal, just what I found.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got a great deal on your KTM with quality extras! You’ve got me thinking now. For me, I’m not the type to go half way, to get my feet wet so to speak. I like good quality equipment and generally prefer not have to sell parts to upgrade to better equipment later. I knew after one day of riding supermoto that it checked all the boxes for me. I really miss motocross, but some physical issues (not motocross related) have kept me from doing it again and I feel like supermoto fills the void without taking a toll on my body.

Of all the equipment desired for SM, I figured a complete front brake system would be at the top of my list and obviously wheels too. I was going to wait on the slipper clutch and suspension change, unless I can find a bike similar to yours that has everything included.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You got a great deal on your KTM with quality extras! You’ve got me thinking now. For me, I’m not the type to go half way, to get my feet wet so to speak. I like good quality equipment and generally prefer not have to sell parts to upgrade to better equipment later. I knew after one day of riding supermoto that it checked all the boxes for me. I really miss motocross, but some physical issues (not motocross related) have kept me from doing it again and I feel like supermoto fills the void without taking a toll on my body.

Of all the equipment desired for SM, I figured a complete front brake system would be at the top of my list and obviously wheels too. I was going to wait on the slipper clutch and suspension change, unless I can find a bike similar to yours that has everything included.
There should be a warning label when signing up for SoCal Supermoto. ***WARNING, taking this class will severely damage your bank account***. :lol:

The exact same thing happened to me in May of this year. I took a class, took another class, then took another class, than bought my own bike. lol. I found a great used SM track bike up north completely dialed for $5500 and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s funny! Same thing happened to my friend, we took the same SoCal Supermoto class a couple of weeks ago and he just bought a really nice slightly used FS450. I’m searching for a bike already setup for supermoto now.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
There is are a lot of really good canyon roads around where you're at, and over north of Malibu. Have you considered something street legal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, there are some great roads nearby to ride on and I do ride them. I already have a Ducati Multistrada and an Aprilia Tuono for these local roads. Riding supermoto at the track appeals to me because I can push the limits of traction and speed in an environment that is much safer than riding on the street.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Twisty road day with ~ Inland Empire Sport Riders *

Yes ,
there are some great roads nearby to ride on and I do ride them .

I already have a Ducati Multistrada and an Aprilia Tuono for these local roads .

Riding supermoto at the track appeals to me because I can push the limits of traction
and speed in an environment that is much safer than riding on the street .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I have a passion for motorcycles and have ridden on the street and dirt for many years. Last week I had a class from So Cal Supermoto at Adams Motorsports Park and had such a great time that I am now hooked on supermoto! I can’t believe the fun I’ve been missing, and have only scratched the surface and have a lot to learn. Motocross was my favorite for quite a while and I have a 2014 Honda CRF450R sitting in my garage. My desire is to convert it to Supermoto use. Any advice on what works well for my bike is greatly appreciated.
Just bought a sm. Loving it, too much fun.
Murrieta temecula area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts