SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK......So here's the skinny. I'm new to the forum but not new to forums. I try to do as much research as possible before posting as I understand the question could have been answered several times over.

I just recently purchased a flawless low mileage 2010, Husky 510 SMR from a buddy of mine who has several bikes. I've been scouring the web looking for headlight upgrades to replace the poor lighting these bikes emit. It's not other vehicles on the road I'm so worried about but rather the inability to see at speed during night rides. I've emailed several companies that sell conversion HID kits and LED bulbs but can't seem to get a clear answer in how to proceed.

I understand heating issues within bulb temps, fitment issues, hi/low beam alternatives, etc., etc., etc. I've also poured through this forum and the user manual on types of bulbs and bulb options with no luck. So if I have my information correct, the high beam bulb on my bikes is a 35w HS1 bulb and the parking lot light or standard running light is a 12v 3w wedge style bulb.

While I don't need some crazy lighting system, I am looking for a plug and play type of kit that emits a nice bright white and still allows me to utilize the high/low beam feature. Heck, at this point, a bright standard daytime bulb would be a great alternative to what's currently on the bike.

I've seen some of the post from users that had 2006-2009 models however, the bulb was a BA20d and not the HS1. Can anyone please assist in providing me with some clarity as too what kits, bulbs, DIY instructions are available so I can feel more comfortable riding at night?

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if this will help but I purchased a 2013 450 SMR (street legal) with a standard KTM headlight (35W bulb) and it sucked. So I bought a conversion kit from PMXTEC. I installed a 70 watt Trail Tech Stator (I still had the stock 42 watt) and a standard 55 watt H7 bulb. Mike at PMXTEC was great to work with. I'm not sure what headlight and stator you have so I'm not sure if this will help you. The Speed Metal LED conversion would not physically fit in the space between the headlight plate and the motorcycle frame. That's why I went with the 55 watt. The HID may fit, I didn't try. The 55 watt is really bright.

Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts