SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last two bikes were an Aprilia 1000cc v-twin and a Kawasaki 650 parallel twin, but I always had an itch for a small displacement single with street tires. My first riding experiences were with 125 two-strokes in the mid-90's so I guess that played a part. More so than the DRZ, the KLX reminds me of those bikes and how they handled. I test rode a DRZ for a few miles and disliked alot of things about it.

Any how, I love the bike but I'm already looking at the 351 big bore kit and getting a new exhaust system. Anyone have the FMF powerbomb/Q4 system installed? I'd be interested in hearing about noise level. I'm a believer in quiet pipes = more time to hoon around before getting busted and ticketed. Also, where exactly can you ride offroad without a spark arrestor? I'd like to start riding some basic trails, so that might be a factor in what exhaust I run.

I was also wondering, since the 351 kit is almost $1000....wouldn't it be just as easy to swap in a 250 or bigger 2-stroke motor and just have custom brackets made? Can I get new cams for the Klixer to raise the peak power from 8k to 9-10k?

·
Registered
362 Posts
uh, the q4 is quiet [for aftermarket], i had the same debate as you, and chose the powercore 4, its REALLY loud, it is a tad noisy though, no expirience with the powerbomb, it comes after the 351. Also, how is the 351 kit $1000? Its just over $525 last time i checked. And "WebCams" makes cams for the wee sf. I would email them with your question.

·
Registered
23 Posts
He probably means its $1000 if you don't get the $175 back sending your cylinder in for a core and another $300 for the TM34. I've been thinking of the 351 but I'm not gonna send my cylinder back in for a core, that way I can have it when I sell the bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
ah, and is that the only benefit to keeping the 250 head?
And anyone know how long it takes from the time you place your order to when you will actually get it?
Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think there is any benefit to keeping the head stock but I haven't really seen anyone do anything with the head. I've been looking on Ebay to check for a klx300 head as I imagine it would have to be better than the stock 250sf head especially when you add cc's. I haven't really seen anyone around here talk about doing head upgrades though, not sure why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What p-tech said, I wanted to keep the core around so that I could return the engine to stock to sell or if the new setup started giving me trouble down the road. I'd probably get the pumper carb just for ease of set up since they come pre jetted. Does anyone know the correct starting point for jet sizes when jetting for a 351, Q4, larger snorkle and stock carb?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts