SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, just introduced myself in another section earlier.. and as I warned there, I may have some dumb questions :) I tried digging through here for the answer I was looking for, but cannot find it.

My question is this: Is the flapper mod and AIS removal necessary for other mods i.e. full exhaust and tuner? I ask this, because what I do to my bike now will not be anything to void the 1 yr factory warranty. After that, it is game on! I am just itching to do something to the bike right now and a slip-on and tuner seemed like a good start..I just do not want to purchase those right now if any performance increase rely on the flapper mod and AIS removal.

I am not a very mechanical-savvy person so I do apologize if any of my questions are silly ones :p

edit: to add, I am a little weary of the flapper mod due to riding in the rain quite a bit..if I can get by with not doing that mod at all, that would be wonderful

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
No. You don't HAVE to do the flapper and AIS mods if you get an exhaust (slip-on or full system) and tuner.

You can by-pass the flapper thing by simply removing the airbox door. That'll let the bike breath much better and give you the full benefit of your tuner and exhaust. (careful if you get caught in real heavy rain with airbox door off)

The AIS thingy really has nothing to do with power gains. It's more about weight savings and just removing some useless emissions crap.

What pipe and programmer you getting?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking about the FmF Q4 or Powercore, powerbomb header, and will probably go with the FmF tuner as well

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just installed the Powercore 4 this morning and it is loud! sounds really good and makes the bike run much better. I recommend if you like loud, braaap braap four-strokes ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies :) lucky for me I love loud pipes..unlucky for my neighbors lol

·
Registered
562 Posts
edit: to add, I am a little weary of the flapper mod due to riding in the rain quite a bit..if I can get by with not doing that mod at all, that would be wonderful
There are two common airbox mods, modding the flapper, and removing the door. The flapper mod will have almost no added risk to riding in the rain, you aren't changing where the air comes in. The flap being partially closed isn't going to prevent much water from coming in. If you are worried about water, do the flapper mod.

Removing the door adds more as far as performance, but increases the chance of water getting in.

If you mod the flapper, find the thread with pics that shows you how. If you remove everything, you'll need to cap a vacuum line.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
It's real easy to pop the airbox door on and off depending on the weather.
Assuming you're in your garage with tools.

The flapper mod, while not irreversible, is a bit more involved if you wish or need to take it back to stock.

The airbox door removal is a very quick and easy thing to experiment with.

If you get caught in long rides with steady, heavy rain on a relatively frequent basis...forget the airbox door.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
huge help, thanks everyone :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is good info, b/c I had some of the same questions ref the AIS removal, etc. Im just wanting to finially get a FMF Q4. I am going to hold off on a programer and header. I do ride in the rain, and I also switch back and fourth to a dirt set-up, which I ride in wet muddy conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts