SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to say whats up, im new to supermoto but not to riding. I currently ride a Gixer 600 and 03 yz125. Ive been wanting to get a supermoto for a while now. Right now im trying to decide between a DRZ 400sm or wr250x. If you have any suggestions let me know, I know this has been asked already a million times. I really want a wr250x but i found a great deal on a 05 DRZ 400sm thats hard to pass. I will not be racing the bike. It will be mostly just used for fun, wheelies, stoppies, etc. I will also ride it to work.

Anyways if you live in Louisiana or anywhere close let me know so we can meet up and ride, always down to meet some chill guys and go ride.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm on a WR250X in Shreveport. Probably the ONLY one youll ever see here lol. I'm on it quite a bit, I commute on it. Its a fun bike but a little torque-less. You can drive it lugging it around while still keeping up with traffic, but theres no real pull down low. You also aren't going to throttle it up without some serious gearing reduction or a mighty tug. In first it lifts the wheel just a bit if I go from a crawl to full throttle. I'm not sure how high. I have an instant reflex from all my time on my KX500 to shift my weight forward and lean forward. Too many times of that other bike standing straight up in 2nd and 3rd when I'm fighting it with all my might. Clutching it up isn't too hard, but I suck at it. I also ride it off road a bit. Its heavy for a dirt bike but for general exploring and farting around its great. I've had both wheels off the ground before but I wouldn't exactly take it to an MX track.

It's a great commuter. I'm heavy and do not take it easy on her, yet she still gets 58-65mpg. Extremely reliable. I'm only at ~5k miles but I've never had to do anything but oil changes, clean air filter, and chain adjusting to it. Very agile and effortless to ride, especially with the proper tires. I went to some shinko 705s and regret it. They sapped some power with their increased weight / height and It was a lot more responsive with the stockers. With good tires it is BMX like.

Never ridden a DRZ though from what I hear its faster out of the box and the motor has more potential but it lacks some of the sharpness and agility due to older suspension design. I probably would have gotten a DRZ instead if I could have found one. As is though I do not regret the WRX and wouldn't trade. If I had a DRZ I would probably mod the piss out of the motor, then it would lose its reliability, then I would be screwed lol.

I'm always up for a ride but I'm not much for stunting. I bought mine new and too poor / owe too much on it to stunt on it. For me its cheap transportation that happens to be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
All my friends are either too uncoordinated or scared of death, but good luck to you on that lol.

If you find any good supermoto roads let me know. I haven't found much of anything. A few that would be fun at 30mph over the speed limit but nothing that can make me smile at "keep your license" speeds. Good thing about a supermoto though, you can have fun just turning down a side street. You would be amazed how fast you can cut a 90* turn and not even feel like you are pushing the bike hard.

I do dirt bikes too so I'm usually up for a dirt ride too, either on my WR or my KX. I do have a friend with an ATV but its a big bear 350 :( . I wear my clutch hand out trying to let him keep up.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I'm in Baton Rouge/Hammond area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What up! I'm new to sm also, I'm right outside of BR. waiting on my wheels and wiring to
come in the mail. I got a 98 400f, I'll be ready to tear sht up in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yall south Louisiana guys might as well be in another state :p Kisatchie is the farthest south I ever go. :bannana:

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Back to the original question:
I've ridden several drz's and wrx's and OTHER THAN DISPLACEMENT (before we get into that argument) the wrx is a much better bike. Better suspension, better brakes, FI, 6 speed, aluminum frame, ect. It does lack a little power, but I love mine. I keep up with bikes much faster. No problem keeping up with or passing dizzers. You just have to ride it like a 600 and keep it wound up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for getting us back on topic lol!! With that being said you pretty much sold me on the wrx. That hard part now is actually finding one in my area. So far the only luck ive had is at dealerships for a new one thats wayyy to much, I would like to find a nice used one.

Anyone else in this area ride or know where one is for sale hit me up!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts