SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just bought an 03 Yamaha YZF 450 and am interested in Supermoto. Unfortunately I live in Phoenix. Whats the best and cheapest way to get started. Any chanced on getting track days up here at AMP or PKRA again? Im Nick btw and look forward to meeting people.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The cheapest while skipping Chinese off brand stuff would be warp 9 wheels with the brake rotor and relocator bracket included. If you're brand new to riding, they will be fine. They have a good warranty as well.

Someone was trying to talk to PKRA about running again, I doubt it's gonna happen, and AMP isn't good sm.

However, a new Trackday series is starting up at wild horse (firebird) and a couple of those tracks will be good for supermoto.

Otherwise, p1 is well worth the drive from PHX. I usually do it about once a month.

·
Registered
402 Posts
calco 88 pointed you in the right direction, amp track is for big bikes. I'm the one who is trying to get pkra to do track days again but the scene here is dead and there is no enthusiasm to get the sport going. with that said p1 and firebird is the way to go. Im going to musselman may 19th with 1 or 2 of my buddies..

·
Registered
386 Posts
PKRA was a fun track, but P1 has it beat hands down.
It 's a faster track and has better flow.
It's worth the drive.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What is wrong with the wheels from China. I realize they aren't USA made but are they really bad?
They are usually weak and bend easily. I ran a set when I started and used to have spokes/spoke nipples breaking just riding on the asphalt. Once I started riding tiny dirt jumps, I had an enormous bend on the lip of the rear rim.

Then I got some excels, and they were the only brand of wheels that survived a race in Vegas where we were jumping off a 7ft wedge ramp and landing flat on asphalt. Every other brand broke/bent except excel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts