SuperMoto Junkie banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I havent seen any road legal FS 450 in Finland.
Only street legal supermotos is that Husqvarna 701, also have seen few those Husqvarna TE model which has been modifield in supermoto trim.

But do you be able to buy on the street that enduro model and modifield it in supermoto trim, wheel, brake etc..

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Unless you live in Europe or Australia, that's most likely not accurate. I see a ton of SMs alone in Germany, Finland, Austria, etc and they have plated bikes that we can't even order here. Including the "track" bikes. We have nazis running the EPA so we are forced to comply with their draconian practices.

well aware there's bikes riding around here that you might not see in the US, but from the factory a FS450 does not come as a street legal bike. like I said, track only, doesn't have the required paperwork to register it for road use.

if some one managed to get one on the street then I can tell you with certainty that wasn't done in a legal fashion. one way of doing it is by taking a VIN number from say a scrapped bike that was road legal, then use that VIN number and title to get another bike that isn't street legal on the road. like I said, nothing legal about it but that's usually the way it's done. I know of one "streeted" FS450 that's riding around here but it's registered as a 449 SMR. Grenaded bike that the owner didn't want to fix, sold the frame along with the title and that was used to get the FS on the road.

most other bikes you see are just converted enduro's, since those bikes do come with the right documents to get them on the road.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Impossible to register legally in Australia.

I have an EXC450 that is identical to te roadworthy EXC450s sold in Australia. Because it was imported from the US, it can never be road legal in Australia.

Nanna is in charge of this rapidly declining company.

·
Registered
5 Posts
not getting this part. FS isn't street legal, anywhere. it's a track only bike.
Reviving this thread, 2 years under my belt and it's still a great bike. Getting the mapping and throttle control set right is a bit of a chore if you're not an expert, but I think I'm almost there.

Launch control is pretty worthless, better to just use your gut. Burns through brake pads in the front. No other issues. Traction control works a bit, could be way better but you can feel it working if you don't get things spinning hard.

As for street legal, I have a plate for mine - easy to do with just about any dirt bike in Minnesota, but having a KTM gives you a bill of lading, dealers can file for a plate on purchase.

I have a 12 O'clock labs tail light but I haven't installed it. I decided to keep it off the street, no need pumping up the hours and I get plenty of track time. If I were to go street, there's a new stator available for upgrade over the stock 75W unit. Then you need any headlight that works with the 701 style headlight enclosure, an enclosure, a mirror, and a couple of switches (power, high beam). No need for signals when you have a left arm (no signals is legal here).

But this thing would be a beast on the street.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Reviving this thread, 2 years under my belt and it's still a great bike. Getting the mapping and throttle control set right is a bit of a chore if you're not an expert, but I think I'm almost there.

Launch control is pretty worthless, better to just use your gut. Burns through brake pads in the front. No other issues. Traction control works a bit, could be way better but you can feel it working if you don't get things spinning hard.

As for street legal, I have a plate for mine - easy to do with just about any dirt bike in Minnesota, but having a KTM gives you a bill of lading, dealers can file for a plate on purchase.

I have a 12 O'clock labs tail light but I haven't installed it. I decided to keep it off the street, no need pumping up the hours and I get plenty of track time. If I were to go street, there's a new stator available for upgrade over the stock 75W unit. Then you need any headlight that works with the 701 style headlight enclosure, an enclosure, a mirror, and a couple of switches (power, high beam). No need for signals when you have a left arm (no signals is legal here).

But this thing would be a beast on the street.
2 years...hows the top end? How many hours and does it need a rebuild yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
2 years...hows the top end? How many hours and does it need a rebuild yet?
I'm only at 20+ hours, so not major service required yet. Top end seems fine, recommend changing the oil often though - I'm seeing a bit more metallic in the oil than I'd like to be seeing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just put down a deposit for a 2018 FS 450 ... moving up from my WR450 :bannana:. Delivery expected late October/November, then I'll have to wait another six months to get on track, here in MN :rant:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just put down a deposit for a 2018 FS 450 ... moving up from my WR450 :bannana:. Delivery expected late October/November, then I'll have to wait another six months to get on track, here in MN :rant:
We're going to need a Husky only class at Shawano! I heard there are 6 that sold in Wisconsin...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Anyone know if there is a difference between the 17's and the 18's?

·
Registered
30 Posts
We're going to need a Husky only class at Shawano! I heard there are 6 that sold in Wisconsin...
I was just at Shawano for the first time a couple of weeks ago (Aug 18), for a practice day set up by the Superbikers2 club ... what a blast! Gotta get out there more often next year. Usually I ride DCTC, both with ZARS and Road Closed.

What about mods to the FS? I have an Akrapovic fetish ;) so the full EVO system I see on the accessories page is calling my name. Steering damper too maybe? Hopefully my dealer (Larson's in Cambridge) will have a price list soon (and hopefully be willing to deal a little).

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Yay, skypig. Now you're only one bike from having every bike you could ever need/want. :clap:
Ideal number of bikes = N + 1 (where "N" = the number currently owned.)

I think I've popped my "restraint circuit breaker". I bought a classic race bike this week as well. A 1989 Honda NSR250. A V twin 250cc 2 stroke. Eligible for several classes in the local Classic race meetings.

The dealer is reflashing the ECU my new 450FS, and is recommending I "remove" the "restriction" from the muffler, for full power joy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any opinions or reviews on how the AER forks for supermoto? I've read mixed reviews from the dirt crowd, and am curious as to how well they work out of the box. Do they have different valving or just run the same forks with different lowers for the radial caliper?

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Any opinions or reviews on how the AER forks for supermoto? I've read mixed reviews from the dirt crowd, and am curious as to how well they work out of the box. Do they have different valving or just run the same forks with different lowers for the radial caliper?
At the very least, the suspension has been shortened both ends.

With AER forks (all air spring forks?) checking the pressure before every race is recommended.
AER equipped bikes were running up the front at last weekends races.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bit of a thread revival but curious as to what settings people have been running the stock suspension at?

I take mine out for its maiden ride this weekend and after coming off a very well set up SMR im a bit sceptical on the AER forks ...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I run my front forks at 132 psi

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had mine out at the track for the first time last weekend. Started at the "Sport" settings from the manual, played a bit with both the front rebound and the air pressure and wasn't able to immediately improve much from there.

Front rebound: 9 clicks out
Front compression: 9 clicks out
Rear rebound: 9 clicks out
Rear high compression: 1.5 turns out
Rear low compression: 13 clicks out
Fork Pressure: 160 PSI / 11.0 bar

I'm about 185 lbs. buck naked, so probably closer to 200 with full gear.

132 PSI / 9.1 bar sounds *really* low?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the setting, ill start there and see how it goes..

Im keen to find out how the AER forks go, ive heard alot of mixed reviews

61 - 80 of 81 Posts