SuperMoto Junkie banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, didn't get notice that there we responses.

I bought mine from Larson's in Cambridge, Minnesota. They're not known to do any price gouging, good peeps. They told me there are two left in US, one in Washington - one out East. They've been getting lots of calls because they posted a photo on their site and Facebook.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting everything I need to make the bike street legal. I have a plate, but the front fender is a bit different on the new bike than most other Husky's (same one as the SM701) so I need the 701 headlight and number plate, but I need the new FE501 wiring harness for the rest - neither are available yet as far as my dealer is telling me.

The new stator is a 4-bolt, and there are no stators being made that output more than 75W (stock size). TrailTech (and others) say they're waiting to get their hands on a bike. I may be able use LED's to keep the watts down, but I need to do some research and math to get the right mix.

Ideally, I'd like be running this light - but I need switch the fender or make a custom plate: http://enduro-tech.eu/index.php/en/enduro-en/led-light-dual-5-race-5-husqarna-15-detail

Update on issues - the bike has been dripping oil from the shift shaft seal from day one. It's just a drip, but I took it back for warranty today. The front tire isn't holding air consistently, but that's hopefully just the rim liner out of alignment.

Also, a steering damper needed. The traction control works well, but any little bump or rise causes the front end to and bob and shake a bit under acceleration - it pulls REALLY hard.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Update on issues - the bike has been dripping oil from the shift shaft seal from day one. It's just a drip, but I took it back for warranty today. The front tire isn't holding air consistently, but that's hopefully just the rim liner out of alignment.

Also, a steering damper needed. The traction control works well, but any little bump or rise causes the front end to and bob and shake a bit under acceleration - it pulls REALLY hard.

My POS is leaking oil from the clutch slave, already been to the shop once and is still leaking. Not real happy about that on a bran new bike. :-(

·
Registered
11 Posts
My POS is leaking oil from the clutch slave, already been to the shop once and is still leaking. Not real happy about that on a bran new bike. :-(
That actually makes more sense, that was my initial suspicion so I checked the bolts over the clutch slave cover and they felt loose so I cinched them a bit - but didn't want to over-tighten without the correct spec. It did seem to leak less when I tightened them.

I need to call my mechanic in the morning. Not happy to hear that this is a known issue, but at least I know.

On another note, can anyone tell me which model shares the upper fork clamps with the FS450? I'm looking to install a steer damper, but nobody seems to list the new bike for fitment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That actually makes more sense, that was my initial suspicion so I checked the bolts over the clutch slave cover and they felt loose so I cinched them a bit - but didn't want to over-tighten without the correct spec. It did seem to leak less when I tightened them.

I need to call my mechanic in the morning. Not happy to hear that this is a known issue, but at least I know.

On another note, can anyone tell me which model shares the upper fork clamps with the FS450? I'm looking to install a steer damper, but nobody seems to list the new bike for fitment.

I wouldnt say known issue. I noticed the seepage apon delivery of my bike which I bought from across the country so was delivered to me in a crate. I noticed it when I upacked it and started looking it over so the first thing I did was find the leak behind the slave and decided I didnt want to wait so I went and bought a gasket and changed it out myself so I could ride it the day I got it, but it didnt fix the leak and then I was pissed and just went and dropped the bike at my local dealership rather then running the POS over with my truck!

The mechanic at my local dealership came up with his fix of using some type of sealant on the gasket to make it quit leaking. He let it setup over night and then warmed the bike up and it didnit leak so he called me and I went and picked it up. It however was leaking again before I finished break-in, but I wasnt letting a little seepage stop me from riding the fucking thing and by about my third session and when I was really starting to get on it more the seepage appears to have stopped.. I thought it was kind of a half assed fix from the get-go but I did however talk to a lokal KTM guy who told me some of the KTM's use an oring inside the slave around the very inner edge of the green paper gasket. The KTM slave he showed me had a notch cut out for the O-ring to recess into. If mine continues to leak and I pull the slave again Ill let you know what I find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, it was the clutch slave diaphragm. The dealer said it was an issue with the robot assembly, that the diaphragm was pinched. They were really cool about it, they pulled a unit off a bike on the floor so I could get to the race on Sunday.

No leaks, no problems.

So, has anyone found a good source for parts for the 2016? It's hard to find anything listed specific for the bike. I think the 2016 FC 450 shares quite a few parts, but hard to be certain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
FC and FS are virtually the same bikes, couple of components are different like the clutch, suspension, triple clamps, etc but they share more similarities than differences.
Thanks Skully,

Update on the clutch slave - the leak is back. Much smaller issue this time - but after a week I have a 3" spot under the bike. I can live with it for now, it's an hour to the dealer - but that's two of us with the same problem.

Still tough to find the right parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks.

A couple of questions about the map switch and launch control...

First, when using the launch control - once it's set and you're ready to go, do you just hold the throttle wide open and drop the clutch?

Second, I realize there are 10 settings for the fuel mapping - so far I'm just using the stock settings - Standard and Soft (when using launch control). So that's 1=soft, 2=Advanced, 3=Standard - and there are 7 others settings. The question is, how do you tune those other 7 settings? I can't find any documentation on fuel mapping except for the basics in the manual.

And I'll share this official microfiche parts finder (if you're looking for FS 450 select street bikes). http://sparepartsfinder.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think the "launch control" just "softens" the power to make a conventional launch more controllable. More a dirt bike thing. I believe once the revs drop (or change gear?) it's back to normal.

Certainly not "hold it wide open and drop the clutch" :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The manual says to hold the throttle all the way open and use the clutch as normal - so, right - don't just drop it.

I guess I'll just have to do some practice launches.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm thinking hard about picking up a 2017 FS 450. Anyone take delivery of one yet? Looking for some ride reports. How's the brakes and chassis/suspension from the factory?

·
Registered
53 Posts
What's the top speed on that bad boy?
Here in Texas we don't really have a lot of tight tracks, so I typically ride/race the long tracks with big bikes, so prefer to have decent top speed.

Also, how is the suspension from factory? Is it still setup for Pedrosa, needing a revalve and new springs, or do they actually sell it now with real riders in mind? :)

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The FS450 will be yet another awesome supermoto that is legal to ride in the streets, all over the world...except for of course, the USA.
And Canada, because our countries SUCK when it comes to toys. Why must our governments take away all the fun toys?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
And Canada, because our countries SUCK when it comes to toys. Why must our governments take away all the fun toys?!?!?!
Think of all that pollution that 4-500 motorcycles will create driven on an average of 2,500 miles per year. About the same as Air Force One or Marine One belches out on a single trip. Did they take away charcoal lighter fluid away from you Canuckians? We get to light our BBQs with flint here in CA.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Because we vote for idiots, that's why! lol

·
Registered
355 Posts
not getting this part. FS isn't street legal, anywhere. it's a track only bike.
Unless you live in Europe or Australia, that's most likely not accurate. I see a ton of SMs alone in Germany, Finland, Austria, etc and they have plated bikes that we can't even order here. Including the "track" bikes. We have nazis running the EPA so we are forced to comply with their draconian practices.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts