SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Wow - I like this - Same HP from the Fact as my 690....out of a 450? - Love that mini expansion chamber too

The new FS 450 Supermoto, which is presented in striking new graphics, is now set to deliver a thrilling, intuitive and confidence-inspiring riding experience. The highlights summary of this exciting model include:

Chromoly frame design, optimised for light weight and optimal torsional rigidity

Innovative, lightweight carbon composite rear subframe for optimal stiffness and design

Lightweight cast aluminium swingarm for complete control and stability

High quality closed cartridge WP fork and CNC machined triple clamps

Brand new 63 hp SOHC engine, 1.8 kg lighter and now 23 mm shorter, 23 mm narrower and 9 mm lower than the previous generation

New 5-speed gearbox 8 mm narrower and 350 g lighter

High tech EFI system and reliable electric start

Lightweight Li-Ion battery

APTC clutch for maximum control under hard braking

Premium quality Alpina Tubeless spoked wheels

Bridgestone slick tyres for amazing performance and optimal handling

Radial Brembo brake caliper for maximum stopping power

New bodywork with carefully designed and engineered ergonomics to fit riders of all sizes

Standard map switch and launch control

New colours and seat cover incorporating traditional Husqvarna style

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Wow -
Brand new 63 hp SOHC engine, 1.8 kg lighter and now 23 mm shorter, 23 mm narrower and 9 mm lower than the previous generation

Lightweight Li-Ion battery

APTC clutch for maximum control under hard braking

Premium quality Alpina Tubeless spoked wheels

[/I][/I]
Nice to see these features. Maybe the first OEM bike with an Li-Ion battery from the factory?

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Nice to see these features. Maybe the first OEM bike with an Li-Ion battery from the factory?
'16 KTM's also come with one. the starting procedure does take up more time if temps drop below a certain point. then you need to let the motor crank over to make the battery heat up, and repeat that process until the battery is warm enough to make the motor turn over fast enough for it to start. bit of a pain in the rear, but a Li-ion battery is easy weight savings.

owning a '15, and telling myself I wouldn't let the new '16's get to me I can you with certainty that strategy is failing big time lol... oh if only money grew on trees...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Im finding the carbon subframe thing a bit odd. Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. The 2016 KTM 450 sxf is listed as 0.5KG lighter than the 2016 Husky FC450

Husky website: Weight without fuel approx. 102.4 kg
KTM website: Weight READY TO RACE (without fuel) 101.9 kg

I'm not digging the Husky side number plate plastics extending all the way to the front of the bike either. I don't particularly love the '16 KTM plastics either, but it's not too bad in the flesh. I think the design teams are starting to lose their way.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Wierus, why did you set yourself up for a beat down.

Everyone knows in the motorcycle game, "he who weighs his bike last is the lightest bike to date" that is also followed by the fact that "he who dynos his bike last makes the most power/torque" should I continue with MPG etc.

I have proof somewhere here that the 2015 Ural was the lightest, fastest, quickest, most comfiest bike to pilot whilst setting a world record at the 24 hours of LeMans on just ¾ of a tank of gas, and the rider than proceeded to ride it back to Russia, the long way. He did need to hit reserve though.

I haven't seen an actual factual real weight come from a manufacturer probably in forever. Of course I gave up on their hyperbole. I trust magazines a little bit, not much, better.

Ooh yes, the 2016 KTMs are sooooo sweet, even better than the 6days.

I'm done bashing ;)

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'll agree with you to a point; if the listed spec weight was Husky vs Honda for example, it's probably safe to assume that the Japanese weigh their bike under a different set of circumstances. But its KTM vs Husky(KTM). It aint apples and oranges we're comparing. Its oranges and oranges.
You would expect, results coming from the same factory, possibly using the same scales, would be a good & accurate comparison.
Comparing dyno results from different bikes from different dynos from different parts of the world? Its never going to be an accurate or fair representation of the truth.

Also, "he who weighs his bike last is the lightest bike to date" Husqvarna launched their 2016 lineup after KTM, shouldn't they be the lightest? ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
I don't think it's all about the weight factor but also flexibility/rigidity. I know the rockstar energy team uses different kinds of subframes because they create a different feel on the bike. they switch back and forth between carbon, carbon composite and plastic subframes. that might also play a role going to a different material on the production bikes compared to different model years.

not that I care, like I can feel 0,5 kg difference on a bike lol. I wasn't a fan of the new look on the huskies but it has grown on me, so much so that now I just want go to my dealer friend and tell him to order up a '16...

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I wasn't a fan of the new look on the huskies but it has grown on me, so much so that now I just want go to my dealer friend and tell him to order up a '16...
Bingo!!! - Reminds me of when I first saw the Duc 999 that followed arguably the greatest style in Superbike History (916) and then the 999 grew on me so much I bought one and then the 916 style looked so dated - Still awesome, but dated

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im finding the carbon subframe thing a bit odd. Sounds like a marketing gimmick to me. The 2016 KTM 450 sxf is listed as 0.5KG lighter than the 2016 Husky FC450

Husky website: Weight without fuel approx. 102.4 kg
KTM website: Weight READY TO RACE (without fuel) 101.9 kg

I'm not digging the Husky side number plate plastics extending all the way to the front of the bike either. I don't particularly love the '16 KTM plastics either, but it's not too bad in the flesh. I think the design teams are starting to lose their way.
It is most likely a Carbon Fibre filled nylon rather than normal carbon fibre which is in a matrix of epoxy and at a much higher ratio and can be made to be a lot lighter for the same structure. The carbon filled nylon would most likely be a lot cheaper to make than a welded al. subframe or a carbon fibre one. But the weight difference is most likely the wheels, rubber and brakes of the SM being heavier.

I totally agree about the stying. The husqy just looks unrefined. The 2013 450SMR was the peak of styling for KTM in my opinion:

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
Nice!

It seems KTM (and therefore Husky) have really stepped it up with this model. Especially the engine. Less weight, more power and good reviews of power delivery.

I don't think there will be an orange SM version.

It will be risky for me to go near my friendly Husky dealer now.
(I couldn't care less what the side plates look like)

More power, less weight....,,:bannana:

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
My local dealer in Aus, says "Jan or Feb". (I think he's guessing.)

Have they been released anywhere else in the world yet?

Rumour is the swingarm is shorter than the MX, reduced offset triples.
Almost a "real" Sumo!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts