SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As the title says, I'm live in the Dominican Republic, born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. My riding background is that I bought my first bike a year and a half ago (1994 TTR250 open enduro). I raced motocross for a about six months with a CRF250R. Then I sold it due to my work load and extra time. The thing that drew me to supermotos is how amazing they look and the thought of having a light/quick/powerful dirtbike that grips the road. I just bought a 2013 Yamaha WR250F supermoto today. The guy who bought seems to have done a fantastic job and I personally think the bike looks beautiful (pictures below):

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Welcome to SMJ !!!
Congrats on your purchase and I gotta say it looks sweet !!!
Now go enjoy it !!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
welcome to SMJ! You're so lucky to live in the Dominican. Me and my fiancee will be over there for our honeymoon in April 2015. Is there anywhere in or around Punta Cana that you can rent a supermoto from? Or any kind of bike that's not a moped scooter or quad? I will take a quad if that's all there is but I'd love a sumo :D oh, and do you need to have a driving licence to hire stuff out there? I'm from the UK and have a full UK bike licence but no car licence and my missus has a full car licence but no bike licence lol :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys

Thanks guys. Pretty excited to be out on the road on this thing.

Bikersteve46- I doubt they will have any supermotos to rent, but near the beaches, you never know what you will find. They have Jeep safaris and enduro sight seeing, so you might just get lucky. As far as a license goes, I wouldn't be too worried. The beaches are very touristy areas and a passport goes a long way. Stay out of trouble on the road, wear a helmet on a bike and you really can't go wrong. I haven't been pulled over/asked any questions on my bike since I got here a year and a half ago. Its more of a make mistakes first, then get asked questions country. Almost no preventative or speeding stops. Have fun though, I could do a little research on the supermoto rental, but I'm going to have to say there's a very slim chance. The locals all rush to windows and street corners when they hear/see my bike coming, haha, so they aren't very common. You will also hear about all the dangers of street riding here, thats what makes it fun. If you know how the rules of the road work, it can be awesome.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Lol I was there on holiday with my family about 7 or 8 years ago and it was fantastic but I wished I could have rented a bike and gone up into the hills and stuff. Hmm.....do I throw some 17's in my suitcase......? :lol:

I remember being warned not to get a bike taxi, that the rules for drink driving were pretty much 'you get donefor not being wrecked', and the passenger limits for vehicles are completely unheard of haha.....it was a great holiday :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I was there on holiday with my family about 7 or 8 years ago and it was fantastic but I wished I could have rented a bike and gone up into the hills and stuff. Hmm.....do I throw some 17's in my suitcase......? :lol:

I remember being warned not to get a bike taxi, that the rules for drink driving were pretty much 'you get donefor not being wrecked', and the passenger limits for vehicles are completely unheard of haha.....it was a great holiday :D
I've been here over a year and a half without any plates and the rules are almost never enforced. Not even sure there are any. Respect others, be a defensive driver (always assume the worst), and don't hesitate.

I wasn't able to find any info on special bike rentals, but I'm sure they have a few out there. Just ask some locals and I'm sure they'll know.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I've been here over a year and a half without any plates and the rules are almost never enforced. Not even sure there are any. Respect others, be a defensive driver (always assume the worst), and don't hesitate.

I wasn't able to find any info on special bike rentals, but I'm sure they have a few out there. Just ask some locals and I'm sure they'll know.
Great stuff, thanks for the advice mate :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts