SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I'm looking to get a new chain for my 2008 KTM 690 SMC. My current OEM one has 11,000 miles on it, and it's definitely on it's way out the door (I believe it's partially to blame for the jerky throttle at low speeds). Anyways, I was wondering if you recommended forking out the cash for the OEM one again, or if there was a nice aftermarket one. I've heard D.I.D. and EK were good brands, but would like any suggestions on a specific chain. Doesn't need to be orange.

I plan on replacing the sprockets along with the chain (even if the sprockets don't quite need it yet) at the end of the riding season. Along with a tune-up of the forks, rear suspension, injector cleaned, new fuel filter, new air filter, new brake fluid, new radiator fluid, and whatever else you'd recommend for a bike with 11,000 miles. Thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have 11K on my stocker and it's stretching like taffy. I'll replace it this week with the high end DID X-ring. Expensive, but woorth it.

The rest of your plan sounds great.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 11K on my stocker and it's stretching like taffy. I'll replace it this week with the high end DID X-ring. Expensive, but woorth it.

The rest of your plan sounds great.
Thanks paab. Do you still have the stock brakes (pads, calipers, and discs)? Last I checked, my pads and everything seemed fine, but I wasn't sure if I had have the shop take a look or not.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks paab. Do you still have the stock brakes (pads, calipers, and discs)? Last I checked, my pads and everything seemed fine, but I wasn't sure if I had have the shop take a look or not.
Brake pads are easy to check just pull the pads out and have a look. New they will have 3-4 mm of friction material. Have a peak and see what remains. Some pads - like the rear will come with a groove milled in the face. That groove is a wear indicator - if the groove has been worn away, time for new pads.

When you have them out it's a good chance to inspect for un-even wear and do a light clean of the caliper too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Stock brake pads? Oh my god, no. I have gone through a set per season (front). Actually, thanks for the reminder, I'm due for new ones...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock brake pads? Oh my god, no. I have gone through a set per season (front). Actually, thanks for the reminder, I'm due for new ones...
Heh, I guess my miles aren't as aggressive as yours (which is probably pretty obvious since I haven't been to a track yet either).

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you have 11,000 miles on your sprockets, and you don't think they need changing, you're not looking at them correctly. Look at them from the side closely. You'll notice that the front of the tooth looks rather flat leading up to the tip. Now look at the rear of the tooth area. The area that the chain pulls on. You'll notice that the tooth is cupped out. Please don't tell me it's not with that many miles on it.... Always change your sprockets and chain at the same time. The wear on the sprockets will wreck the new chain. I like the D.I.D X-Ring also.....

·
Registered
603 Posts
Supersprox wear like iron. Easily 2 chains per sprocket.
Sorry, I had problems with the Supersprox. I noticed my chain, after adjusting, had tight spots when rotating the wheel. It turned out that the Supersprox was out of round. The alinement of the inner and outer two surfaces where they meet were off. I'll stick to a solid sprocket from now on.....

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been using the yamaha GTY-R branded chains lately. Don't know who manufactures them, but they are pretty trick (lightened inner plates, x-ring) and I get a decent price on them. Comparable to ERV but cheaper.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts