SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I’m looking to buy a new dirt bike to convert into a street tarder. It will be the fourth motorcycle in my quiver, and only for fun, so I definitely want to go with a higher maintenance/performance choice versus the likes of the DRZ. Must be street legal as well.

I think I’ve narrowed my choices to the WR450f, and 500EXC-f. I was originally leaning towards the Yami for the lower price tag, but I’m starting to think the ktm may give better value:

For $2500 more you get:
  • About 20% more power over an unrestricted WR. (50 vs 60HP)
  • No need for the $700+ to derestrict (GYTR)
  • Hydraulic Clutch
  • 10lbs lighter

I’m looking for opinions either way, or perhaps neither way. If I’m looking for a bike to tear up twisties below 80mph and stunt in the lot, are either of these a good choice in your eyes? Which would you get? If neither, what would you suggest instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 05’ wr450f is a blast to rip around the twisties. Power wheelies all throughout the gears, it’s very fun and very reliable. Parts for it are cheap and available, maintenance is quick and easy. It doesn’t have the 6 speed like the exc, but the wide tranny is nice. I prefer cable clutch imo. I’ve had a 07 525exc and that’s gone and my wr is still with me along with my road legal yz426f and 05 r1. Nothing against the ktm they’re one of the best bikes, I just prefer Yamaha

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know where you live, but you could buy my like new 2020 KTM 690SMCR and live the dream. 500EXC's are fun bikes, I've owned them, but these latest models vibrate a lot since ktm keeps shrinking the cases to save weight and you can't get a heavy enough balancer to fit. Of course you don't notice while riding hard, but if you have to slab half an hour to get there, you'll notice it. The 2019 and newer 690s have two counterbalancers and are smooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts