SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I just recently sold my 2008 Husky SMR450R bored to a 100mm with the Toxic Moto high compression piston and had the RR timing cams etc in it.

Absolutely lovely bike for both aggressive road riding and track days/amateur races but I wanted to do a brand new bike build and not have a 10 year old bike anymore.

That being said, I was between a 701 and a WR450 but I think the 701 is ruled out due to the weight and lack of being nimble compared to the SMR. I am open to KTM, Husky or Yamaha so what do you guys recommend for an aggressive but rideable street setup that doubles as a beasty track bike????

THANKS!!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Grow a pair........

Get the 701...... Mine rocks.....296lb when track ready. There are ways to awaken the monster inside........:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
If I were to go out and buy a new bike right now, the only two options I would seriously consider would be the ktm 500 and Yamaha wr450f. Both are sick and can even be used as a daily if needed. A used crf450x with ss valves and trx piston would be pretty sweet as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Had the 2009 SM450R. Awesome handling, but up in weight and down in power, IMO. Still have an older CRF450R that I built for street, but never raced. Very happy with a 2015 500 EXC that I street and occasional track day. Bike started out blah in power, but not bad on the scale. Ton of potential in the bike without investing a lot. I did a lot to mine, but there are only a few key things that NEED doing (again, IMO). Upgrade the battery (more cranking amps and sheds weight), delete the emissions, adjust the TPS, and if you can, buy an exhaust. Unbelievable difference. I think I shaved off 14lbs. from my bike before gaining the lbs. back in wheels, tires, front brake, triple clamps. You can drop off roughly 2~3 lbs battery*, 3 lbs. exhaust, another 2lbs. if you remove kickstarter altogether. Putting on an SXF gas tank really slimmed the bike down through the legs, but reduced mileage of course.
6th gear is street magic for any commuting over 55mph.

*sorry to estimate- I can't remember the exact weight savings off the top of my head.

·
Registered
53 Posts
WR450F may limit you with it's 5 spd trans. but is still a great bike. Plenty of CR450X bikes & parts out there.
KTMs are HP bikes that make great just about anything bikes, but are expensive to maintain.
Husky 701s are great do it all bikes, I'd like one myself.... :D
You probably will have a blast with any of the bikes you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Something with 6 gears?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ve had many Supermoto bike over the yrssss,with this knowledge I built my dream SM bike some time ago, a 2001?honda XR 650 R, this bike was renowned for reliability, high speeds, buiitproof design, won the Baja 1000 every year it competed as a factory effort.it’s only downside was manual start, and that’s why I no longer use it, as I’ve had a knee replacement.
Many people have modded these bikes over the yrs, but how many have a Ohlins motocross fork, lowered, and revalved buy factory connection , with a complete Berlinger SM front brake system,6 piston calipers/ radial MC., 17” excel rims laced to Rad hubs, a Cush drive rear.., custom made Penske racing 3 way adj rear shock, bike has about 1,500 mi total mi, is decorked so about 55 reliable HP, ( no rebuilding the crankshaft every 100 hrs)
I have over $15K in it, first 6K and it’s sold.
road lights, horn, bigger stator, full Pro Circuit SS exhaust system,Renazco seat, etc.ect,etc...
My replacement Husky 701 SM is more powerful but very similar, but at pushing $16+K it should be, don’t forget electric start.
Have many pics, of Honda.
Gary

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I’ve had many Supermoto bike over the yrssss,with this knowledge I built my dream SM bike some time ago, a 2001?honda XR 650 R, this bike was renowned for reliability, high speeds, buiitproof design, won the Baja 1000 every year it competed as a factory effort.it’s only downside was manual start, and that’s why I no longer use it, as I’ve had a knee replacement.
Many people have modded these bikes over the yrs, but how many have a Ohlins motocross fork, lowered, and revalved buy factory connection , with a complete Berlinger SM front brake system,6 piston calipers/ radial MC., 17” excel rims laced to Rad hubs, a Cush drive rear.., custom made Penske racing 3 way adj rear shock, bike has about 1,500 mi total mi, is decorked so about 55 reliable HP, ( no rebuilding the crankshaft every 100 hrs)
road lights, horn, bigger stator, full Pro Circuit SS exhaust system,Renazco seat, etc.ect,etc...
My replacement Husky 701 SM is more powerful but very similar, but at pushing $16+K it should be, don’t forget electric start.
Gary
where are you?

·
Registered
94 Posts
you send me pics of the bike

Gary

can you send me some pics of the bike i am interested in the bike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts