SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the new 701's are upgraded with 74(!!!) hp and 71nm torque.
I think they placed the same engine with 2016's duke.
My opinion is going to the ultimate street legal supermoto that comes from factory,for every day use & i believe that only 550 sxv will be able compete with it on the straight.
What do you think?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Radder than the original!

:)
Hey Ram, we may have something on these guys waiting on the 2017 701s. Jerry Brown signed a new emissions law. Starting with the 2017 models there will be no aftermarket exhausts allowed. Factory emissions cannot be removed or tampered with, similar to cars. You can be criminally prosecuted. HD got fined $15M for having emissions which could be overridden so easily. Also explains why FMF wouldn't answer my emails or return my calls, only to find out they are done making all exhaust for street bikes. We talked about this jokingly on another post but they actually will be stamping CARB emissions approved on new bikes so when CHP and other LE pull you over, they have another ticket they can write. It will be a fix it ticket for now but knowing the nazi's who run the EPA they will probably add jail time lol. I expect they will be requiring bikes to be smog tested in just a few years. :D:D:D:D
We'll have the last supermotos allowed to have aftermarket exhaust!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Ram, we may have something on these guys waiting on the 2017 701s. Jerry Brown signed a new emissions law. Starting with the 2017 models there will be no aftermarket exhausts allowed. Factory emissions cannot be removed or tampered with, similar to cars. You can be criminally prosecuted. HD got fined $15M for having emissions which could be overridden so easily. Also explains why FMF wouldn't answer my emails or return my calls, only to find out they are done making all exhaust for street bikes. We talked about this jokingly on another post but they actually will be stamping CARB emissions approved on new bikes so when CHP and other LE pull you over, they have another ticket they can write. It will be a fix it ticket for now but knowing the nazi's who run the EPA they will probably add jail time lol. I expect they will be requiring bikes to be smog tested in just a few years. :D:D:D:D

?!?!?!?!?!
If its true i hope it wont apply to Europe's models

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
It's an old law, just getting a little tougher of the penalty side of things. HD was fined 12M because they would sell you a new bike with a screaming eagle tuner installed. Not quite as bad as Volkswagen did, but the dealerships were defeating the EPAs regulations. 12M and a bunch of carbon credits to reign in their dealership network. I can't speak for FMF but, I can say that DJ is on edge and selling off dynos, most likely just CA, IDK. All catalytic converters in the state of CA must have their application stamp on the side as to be easily read by someone. CARB wants motorcycles to be smogged every other year like cars. The governater Arnold being a H-D dude nixed that from the start. CARB conceded to let the CHP be the smog cops for bikes. My bike is 10 years old and it is illegal to modify the exhaust, been illegal 30 years ago. Used to be just the noise thing but past the fuel injection age, 2007, and when they started stuffing cats into the pipes it became an emissions issue. Hell, try and go to El Mirage and ride, if you had your charcoal canister removed they'll send you packing, frigg'n forest rangers.

Good news, it can only get worse. And my money is riding on that it will. 1,000 fine for having access to the air screw on a carb. Yup, we will be riding horses again in CA.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Just read the new 701's are upgraded with 74(!!!) hp and 71nm torque.
I think they placed the same engine with 2016's duke.
My opinion is going to the ultimate street legal supermoto that comes from factory,for every day use & i believe that only 550 sxv will be able compete with it on the straight.
What do you think?
The next performance upgrade will be more torque, just lengthen the stroke and put back in last years piston. The KTM formula just works. Satisfies the torque hungry and the power hungry people.

I'll bet on the SXV, way longer power curve.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
For the first 500 feet, at which point the SXV will just explode...afterwards, the 701 will reign victorious. :laughingr
Funny!
(But Aprilias are low hanging fruit for reliability jokes! :) )

I'm a little excited by the "new engine" news.
I'm guessing it is the engine from the 2016 Duke.
Does it have many differences? (Bore/stroke?)
I thought it was mainly the head, but the claimed performance increases are substantial. They also claim "1000 more usable rpm".

Has anyone ridden the "twin spark" Duke?

I guess there will be an orange version as well.

How hard is it to remove the ABS system in its entirety?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Funny!
(But Aprilias are low hanging fruit for reliability jokes! :) )

I'm a little excited by the "new engine" news.
I'm guessing it is the engine from the 2016 Duke.
Does it have many differences? (Bore/stroke?)
I thought it was mainly the head, but the claimed performance increases are substantial. They also claim "1000 more usable rpm".

Has anyone ridden the "twin spark" Duke?

I guess there will be an orange version as well.

How hard is it to remove the ABS system in its entirety?
Yeah, I'm obviously exaggerating, but the SXV does have the reputation...

Yes, the new engine is from the 2016 Duke 690.
Bore is up 3mm to 105mm, and Stroke is down 4.5mm to 80mm.
The Twin Spark debuted in 2012 on the Duke 690 and in 2014 on the SMC R.
As for the ABS, you can disable the rear ABS for "supermoto mode".

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks for that.

More answers to my questions here. Including a dyno graph.
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/husqvarna-701-supermoto-vs-ktm-690-duke-motorcycle-comparison-test#page-10

The new "Big bore 690cc" Supermotards are likely to be really grunty, with 70hp at the brochure, stock.
(70 hp stock, out of a reliable, lowish mtce, 4 stroke single is a bit mind boggling. More than most highly strung race singles.)
Imagine if they made a race version of the new 690 engine , I'm sure they can reach 80+ hp but maintenance will be every 3 hours and shit like that.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I wonder what the exact engine/ECU differences are between the 2016/7 models. I'll probably just swap in the new motor, throttle body, and maybe ECU once I grenade my motor.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I wonder what the exact engine/ECU differences are between the 2016/7 models. I'll probably just swap in the new motor, throttle body, and maybe ECU once I grenade my motor.
Planning ahead I see....:coffee:

·
Registered
22 Posts
?!?!?!?!?!
If its true i hope it wont apply to Europe's models
Its coming over here aswell. Now the Husky approved Akra that you can buy from dealers have a cat included. There is a reason why alot of other manufacturers dont make exhausts for the 701.

Atm there is no true Race exhaust system for the 701 and will probably never be made. Evo 1/2 from KTM fits tho!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Its coming over here aswell. Now the Husky approved Akra that you can buy from dealers have a cat included. There is a reason why alot of other manufacturers dont make exhausts for the 701.

Atm there is no true Race exhaust system for the 701 and will probably never be made. Evo 1/2 from KTM fits tho!
I don't know but my remus is race only and is illegal for the streets. (slipon)
If u got a header that fits without impossible problems tell us. (evo1/2 header?a specific part # and link will be cool)

·
Registered
90 Posts

Am i wrong if i remember that you got a 690 akrapovic header for your 701? Looking forward for some installation pictures.

Full akra built for the 701 would be nice, but as you say.. Probably never gonna se that. Since the akra slipon for 701 even got a catalysator.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but this is the 2017 701 thread, and it has the new engine. I don't know if there's a difference in the exhaust port location, but there might be. I'd say we should try to ask someone with a 2016 Duke 690 if they can install an exhaust from a 2015 bike. That would tell us if the exhausts could be compatible.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Not to throw a wrench in your plans, but this is the 2017 701 thread, and it has the new engine. I don't know it there's a difference in the exhaust port location, but there might be. I'd say we should try to ask someone with a 2016 Duke 690 if they can install an exhaust from a 2015 bike. That would tell us if the exhausts could be compatible.
The duke has a different frame? and exhaust design...

·
Registered
106 Posts
2017 701 sm

I put a deposit down for a new 2017 Sm!!! I'll be selling my 09 Duke 690 to my stepson, already sold my 2015 YZ250FX any might sell my 06 smc 625( not sure if I can part with that one).

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I put a deposit down for a new 2017 Sm!!! I'll be selling my 09 Duke 690 to my stepson, already sold my 2015 YZ250FX any might sell my 06 smc 625( not sure if I can part with that one).
You sell the 625 and I'll kick you out of the club.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts