SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just finished converting my 2017 Husqvarna FX450 to a street legal supermoto. My background is mostly motocross/enduro riding and some snowbiking. Im looking for some advice on how to setup my suspension for some aggressive street riding and possibly some track days. What should I run for Sag/Preload. How should I set up my clickers for the road? The bike has the stock rear spring/valving and being a bigger guy at 200lbs I know I might have to replace it. The forks are WP AER so I can adjust the air pressure as needed. What does everyone run for tire pressure and gearing. I currently have 30lbs in the front and rear tire and am running a 15/44 gear ratio. Any advice on how to set this bike up would be great. This is my first supermoto and post on this forum. Thanks in advance!

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
The ideal track setup is radically different to off road.
Less important for street riding. (At least the way I ride)

I took my forks/shock (525 SX/EXC) to a professional and the results were superb. (For Supermoto Racing).
In basic terms: They shortened the travel slightly, fitted stiffer springs, and increased the damping to suit.

All you can do for free is increase the compression damping to reduce dive and squat.
Race sag, with full 300mm travel: Around 30mm front and 70mm rear. (With around 25mm static sag each end - from memory)
You won’t get near those figures with stock springs.

30 psi in the tires is about as hard as you want to go. I run 29 on my 701 (street). Lower for the track. The standard measure of 4 psi ruse from cold to hot is valid for a guide.

All this is just my thoughts based on experience and info gleaned through obsessive research.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On asphalt only I run 1 inch of race sag , front and back , just like a sportbike , and 22psi. 10% rule , if your tire pressure goes up less than 10% , you're too hard , more than 10% , too soft. 48 years of riding and racing.

·
Read Only
1,275 Posts
On asphalt only I run 1 inch of race sag , front and back , just like a sportbike , and 22psi. 10% rule , if your tire pressure goes up less than 10% , you're too hard , more than 10% , too soft. 48 years of riding and racing.
What static sag do you get (want) with 25mm (1 inch) of race sag?
The figures I suggested assume 300mm of travel, approximately twice what a sports bike would have. (Hence a little more race sag.) Also, they are for Supermoto Racing (1/3 dirt, with jumps)

I’m always trying to learn. Thanks for your input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts