SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah3Ev9-cM7A
As stated, I need some of you sage riders/Scorsese's to take a look at my video and shoot me some criticisms...preferably constructive in nature:anim_peep:. Obviously, I am not a pro, this is just me putting around town.
I just got the GoPro Hero in, and put together a video with some quick footage I got. Mounting definitely still needs some work. I tried it mounted directly on top of my helmet, but had the Angle way too steep towards the ground. Also had a mount strapped to the beak of my helmet, again, angle sucked. The Chesty mount seemed to have the best look to it IMO, just need to bring it a little higher. So any advice on riding/filming/being a regular bad-ass would be greatly appreciated.:bannana:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I love the chest mount too, if you tighthen the straps to bring it up higher on your chest, you get better footage while still being able to see the bars & controls.

I have also tried running the head strap around my helmet (removed the top strap, so just a single strap) with the cam on the chin piece, I like that view too, it gives a similar view to the chest mount, but enables you to film what you are looking at when turning your head. It works pretty well on a road style helmet, as the chin vent is fairly flat, my mates have tried it with MX helmets, but there is a bit of movement as it isn't as stable on a MX chin vent.

Good footage man :thumbup:

Here's an example of the chest mount with straps tightened to bring it higher up on my chest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Nt3qMfTGw

And here's with the cam mounted on chin bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfLhScP81nY

Here it is mounted to the chin bar with the head strap, has silicone on the strap just like a set of goggles, so it isn't going anywhere. The helmet is angled forward slightly when you wear it, so have to angle the camera up a bit. I find it perfect if I line the lens up with the angle of the top of the face opening (shown by the yellow lines). This way I don't have to stick a mount on my helmet, and I can let others use the cam when on a ride, only 30 seconds to swap it to another helmet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great video! I was thinking it must be a campus too haha I have a few stair sets on mine I'd like to get onto but they are a ways into the campus... And the "Securitas" are everywhere! I hang my go pro under the visor on my helmet upside down, and the angle is pretty spot on to 1st person, but I have a big noggin so theres room for the camera, I dont know if all helmets offer that kinda room! Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Cool stuff!

Don't be afraid to have some fun with alternate mounting locations. Here are some of my faves.

Headlamp mask

Engine guard

Swingarm

On the back, facing backward

On the triples

Inside the radiator shroud

I have GoPro mounts all over my bikes. They look kinda funny.

Personally I'm not a fan of the "on top of the helmet" location because A) I get seasick watching all the looking around and B) The perspective is wonky. I like your chest mount, I'd like it more if (as said above) it were higher.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nice job!

That 10 minute (seemed like) stoplight sequence was original! :clap:

I'd think the chin area of the helmet would make a great angle, or around the neck area, but may look goofy. I need to look into one of these GP's. $300 bucks eh? How long can you make a video for?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gents. I appreciate the input. I adjusted the chest mount, so next chance, I'm hoping to try out some new spots, and hopefully get some decent footage.

I know what you mean about watching film from on top of the helmet.lol. It can get a little sickening. I really like that engine guard view:clap:, I'm gonna have to figure out to emulate it. Also, fish, I see what you mean about the angle. I swear, editing my footage from the helmet mount, I kept catching myself craning my head back, trying to see further ahead.:headshake. I've got a similar helmet, so like I said, next chance, I'll try to match the angle of the visor.

Most of the vid was taken in some developing areas near my casa, and around New Mexico State University, it was Spring Break and the weekend, so thankfully, no 5-oh. There are a couple more places I wanna hit on campus, but they're a little more likely to attract unwanted attention.:anim_peep:

LBNL, I can not take full credit for the vid, although I'd like to.lol. I had my chick show me how to use iMovie on her Mac, and she sat in on a couple clips, and gave me the :thumbup: or :headshake on most of it.

Again, thanks for the input, hopefully I'll have another video up in the near future for your viewing pleasure.lol.

Keep your heads down, and front wheels ups boys. :rock:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long can you make a video for?
It really depends. I've got a 32Gb card, recording at 720p @ 60fps. Which doesn't mean much to me, but according to the box, that should = about 16 minutes per Gb I believe. I couldn't be happier with image quality, and they do a decent job of letting you come up with some pretty creative mounts, as you can see from people other than me.lol. However, sound quality still leaves something to be desired, as far as wind noise blocking...

·
Registered
425 Posts
The best I've found so far for noise is running the waterproof back, but take out the white rubber o-ring/gasket that runs around the back to seal it. It lets enough sound in, you'll still get some wind noise, but it sounds more natural than the hollow underwater-ish sound you get with it sealed up, and mine kept getting condensation with it sealed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts