SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello so ive been looking for a supermoto for a long time and haven't had any luck so i figured i could build my own i called the department of highway safety or whatever to see if i could actually do it and the guy i talked to said it was totally illegal in NY state but after talking to him more it sounded like he had no idea what he was talking about Ive seen street legalizer kits on motostrano and tried telling him that but he still said it was illegal and kept calling it a baja kit, so basically what i wanted to know is if anyone else has done it in NY state, is this guy an idiot or is it actually illegal now and cant be done ?:rolleyes2:

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just got a NYS street legal title for this two weeks ago. Unless things at the DMV have changed dramatically in the last couple weeks I'm proof it can be done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats awesome thanks alot i was almost about to give up and buy a klx 250sf = ( not my first choice , the guy i talked to pretty much had one answer for me.. no and nothing in between so i was hoping to get a second opinion, was it hard to do ? how exactly did you go about doing it at the dmv? and nice bike. thanks

·
Registered
995 Posts
thats awesome thanks alot i was almost about to give up and buy a klx 250sf = ( not my first choice , the guy i talked to pretty much had one answer for me.. no and nothing in between so i was hoping to get a second opinion, was it hard to do ? how exactly did you go about doing it at the dmv? and nice bike. thanks
Are you upstate or down state?

The absolute easiest way is to buy a street titled bike from any other state and register and title it here by just transfering the title from state to state.

The biggest thing NOT to do is buy a bike that has a NYS issued off road title, also known as an ATV title. Once a bike has been issued this by the state it is almost impossible to get it converted to a street legal title.

There are other ways to street title bikes here in NY as well, but certain questionable and somewhat risky things might have to be considered. Do a search of the forum for getting a street title in NY as it's been discussed to death here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am upstate, tri state area and thanks i appreciate the help i had heard that it says off road use only on some titles, i just didnt know if it was as easy as throwing a street kit on any dirt bike or they would have to be some sort of duel sport like 450x or a ktm exc something like that i guess id like to try and get a honda crf450 but im kinda short so we'll see how that works out. what size is your ktm i see its a 2 stroke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts