SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,

Ok I finally wore the stock rear tire (Dragon Super Corsa Pro) on my 690 SMC down till the next layer of rubber is showing. The front tire still looks like it has 70% of its tread left. About half of my riding is on two lane highway going straight. So I am looking for advise on a good reasonably priced tire that wears well and would be a good match to the stock front tire. Willing to give up some cornering ability for more mileage.

Cheers,
Roy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you live in a warm climate year round? I wouldn't use that pirelli year round, although it is a great tire.

I'd move to a set of Conniforce SM tires personally. Best SM tires I've ever used. Winter, summer, hard track use, they've held up to it all.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I live in the SF bay area so the climate here is pretty moderate. I will definitely check out the Conniforce SM tires.

What I am looking for right now is a rear tire that will work well with Dragon Super Corsa I have on the front. Hate to throw away a perfectly good and expensive front tire.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tedc,

I just looked up the Conniforce SM tires on the Motostrano website and they rave about them. Say it is their biggest seller. Thanks for the tip. In a couple of years I will be moving up to San Juan Island near you, so there wet and cold handling will be very important.

Cheers,
Roy

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've gone through two sets with some hard hard use and they never let me down, really are fantastic. I put about 6 track days at the local SM track and 4,000 miles on my first set and they held right up till the bitter end of the tread.

If I was in your shoes and I could count on the weather holding I'd throw another Dragon on the rear and when that one wears out switch to Connies (or switch when you move and it hits about November).

We've got two 690's in the house and have run Connies, Pirellis and Maxxis gold speeds and all have been excellent tires. Connies are what I would use year around and there isnt much reason to use anything else. We had a few sets of Pirellis around so we burned through those, excellent as long as its warm, bit squirmy in the wet/cold. I'm running Maxxis goldspeeds right now because I got a killer deal on them and they make amazing summer/track tires, but now that winter is here I'll have to switch it back up to Connis or risk death as they are basically racing slicks with some slots cut into them to be technically road legal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cheapest I could find the Dragon SuperCorsa rear was $207 and it wears super fast.

My plan is to buy the ContiForce SM rear ($125) and see how it gets along with the used Pirelli on the front. If it turns out to be a disaster, then I will replace the front with a ContiForce SM ($104).

Cheers,
Roy

·
Registered
72 Posts
It'll pair fine, I would just caution you in any cold/wet situations to remember not to have the same confidence in the front tire as you do the rear. The profiles wont kill you, they should work alright together, but the connie is going to grip for days in any weather short of snow and the pirelli up front will want to wander under more intense braking in less than ideal conditions; so just keep that in mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts