SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I know this is one of my first posts here, but I have wanted a supermoto for a long time, and I am looking for some advice.

I have had many bikes over the years, mostly streetfighter type bikes (SV650, Speed Triple, Aprilia Tuono).

I have been thinking of trading or selling my Aprilia and getting a supermoto. The DRZ400SM and WR250x are the front runners.

Well, a guy has offered to trade me a 2000 KTM Duke II with 9000 miles and good mods and in good condition + enough cash to buy a nice used DRZ.

Does anyone have experience with the Duke 2. Should I avoid it?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Buddy at work has one and it seems like a solid bike. He's got over 20k miles on it I think w/o any major work. He put a pumper carb on it and opened up the cans. Sounds awesome. They come with some high quality bits on them as well.

9k miles is pretty much nothing on that bike. Those LC4 motors are great from what I've heard.

I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of the front end. Wonder if you could easily put different fender on it?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had a 1997 Duke for awhile, it hauled butt and stopped on a dime.

The main bearing failure problem was always in the back of my mind and every odd sound or vibration would make me suspect the worst.

I believe the round main bearings were replaced with roller bearings in 2002, I could be wrong.
It's an upgrade that should be done and require a special bearing puller.

Might be worth reading up on in the ADV Rider LC4 forum under Thumpers/ Bike specific.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buddy at work has one and it seems like a solid bike. He's got over 20k miles on it I think w/o any major work. He put a pumper carb on it and opened up the cans. Sounds awesome. They come with some high quality bits on them as well.

9k miles is pretty much nothing on that bike. Those LC4 motors are great from what I've heard.

I'm not the biggest fan of the looks of the front end. Wonder if you could easily put different fender on it?
I was also thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a 1997 Duke for awhile, it hauled butt and stopped on a dime.

The main bearing failure problem was always in the back of my mind and every odd sound or vibration would make me suspect the worst.

I believe the round main bearings were replaced with roller bearings in 2002, I could be wrong.
It's an upgrade that should be done and require a special bearing puller.

Might be worth reading up on in the ADV Rider LC4 forum under Thumpers/ Bike specific.
I read about that. I asked the owner, he says he's the 2nd owner. He didn't know if it was replaced or not. My thought was that it would have probably failed by 9k miles if it was going to.

I was hoping to do a little light off-roading, but I don't think the Duke would do as well as a DRZ SM with Pirelli Sync tires.

I could buy a DRZ with the extra money and sell the Duke. Is there much of a market for a used Duke?

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Its the same bike pretty much as a 640sm Bullet proof. Put a Fcr41 on it and be done. Dont sweat the main bearing thing.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If he wants to give you the Duke and enough cash to get a used DRZ it sounds like an easy decision to me. Take it and buy a used DRZ and have both bikes. That's what I would do anyway.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've seen a duke II with a normal supermoto headlight and fender and it looked just like any other KTM supermoto. Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Buy it if you don't want to jump it... They are bomb proof and yes the gray engines had the bearing problem and yes after 9k miles you'd think it would've gone...... OR it's just about to :lol:
I have seen people change the front light setup on these and they look pretty cool!

Anyways, I loved my duke 2 and you HAVE To out an fcr41 carb on it and get cans or just gut the ones that are on it and just whip the airbox lid off and be done with it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Someone just offered me one of these in trade for my XB9 last night. Semi tempted because these used to be one of my favorite bikes 10 years ago, but the thing barely weighs less than by XB9 so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
and yes the gray engines had the bearing problem and yes after 9k miles you'd think it would've gone...... OR it's just about to :lol
Wasnt it the black engines that had the probem? Gray are 03 or 04-later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts