SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DRZ 400 now witch i really like but i really need more power. I live in the mountains of NC and some of the best roads to ride are str8 up. I really need to know if i need to get a bigger bike or put a big bore kit in mine.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can get some decent power out of the DRZ motor with a 3x3 mod, exhaust, and re-jet. If you really want to go another step get the upgraded carb (can't remember the name). And lasty, if all that doesn't work, go with a big bore kit.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
its fun to mod your bike out, but also very expensive. Might be worth upgrading to a bigger bike:hmmm:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
You can get some decent power out of the DRZ motor with a 3x3 mod, exhaust, and re-jet. If you really want to go another step get the upgraded carb (can't remember the name). And lasty, if all that doesn't work, go with a big bore kit.
+1 on all the above. The carb in question is the Kiehn FCR 39mm that used to (possibly still does) come on the E model. The thumpertalk store sells the whole kit ready to bolt on for about $600. That may sound steep, but it's and instant 3 HP. The most you'll get from any mod without cracking into the engine. Where you at in the NC mountains anyway?

·
Registered
297 Posts
buy a bigger bike , the drz will never run with anything unless you put sooooooo much money into it , then it still wont be fast .

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
There is still no replacement for displacement!!!!:rock:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
get a big bore bike (625 or 610) if you ride on the street...you will never regret having almost 60 hp and boat loads of TQ. The quality of the 625 amazes me all the time...cush drive 5" rear wheel is just an example of the quality that comes with the slight price increase, not to mention almost 2x the power.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
More throttle, less brake. I'm not trying to be an ass, but your DRZ

is a lot faster than you are ( a lot faster than me too).

The way I look at it, is as long as someone (anyone) can go faster

than me on the same bike, then I'm not getting everything out of my

bike. Also, the only place big HP makes a difference is on the straights.

Anyone can go fast on straights. My .02

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Also, the only place big HP makes a difference is on the straights.
Umm, I've found that another place big HP makes a big difference is going up hills :infrandom

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have a 40hp DRZ and I like it, but I'm not in the mountains.

3x3 & Twinair = $20
FCR39MX = $500
Yoshi RS2 = $430

Big Bores will be a few hundred.. maybe up to $600. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. But do the exhaust and intake first, otherwise, you're just wasting your big bore kit's potential.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Umm, I've found that another place big HP makes a big difference is going up hills :infrandom

I happen to live in the WNC mountains too. We've got PLENTY of DRZs

that ride with us. I've never heard any one of them say they don't have

enough HP for our hills.

back at ya :infrandom

:D

·
Registered
297 Posts
More throttle, less brake. I'm not trying to be an ass, but your DRZ

is a lot faster than you are ( a lot faster than me too).

The way I look at it, is as long as someone (anyone) can go faster

than me on the same bike, then I'm not getting everything out of my

bike. Also, the only place big HP makes a difference is on the straights.

Anyone can go fast on straights. My .02
You should have read the question though ! The guy is asking about more power ,not how to ride .

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
You should have read the question though ! The guy is asking about more power ,not how to ride .
Just tryin to save the guy some money. :bike:

I invited him to our next ride. :thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1 on all the above. The carb in question is the Kiehn FCR 39mm that used to (possibly still does) come on the E model. The thumpertalk store sells the whole kit ready to bolt on for about $600. That may sound steep, but it's and instant 3 HP. The most you'll get from any mod without cracking into the engine. Where you at in the NC mountains anyway?
I live near nc 80 in Marion what about u

1 - 16 of 16 Posts