SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DRZ 400 now witch i really like but i really need more power. I live in the mountains of NC and some of the best roads to ride are str8 up. I really need to know if i need to get a bigger bike or put a big bore kit in mine.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
More throttle, less brake. I'm not trying to be an ass, but your DRZ

is a lot faster than you are ( a lot faster than me too).

The way I look at it, is as long as someone (anyone) can go faster

than me on the same bike, then I'm not getting everything out of my

bike. Also, the only place big HP makes a difference is on the straights.

Anyone can go fast on straights. My .02

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

I agree with this sentiment.... to a point
there have been a few time while riding in the mountains that I've had the throttle pinned on my DRZ, and it just stops pulling. it's not slowing down by any means, but it's not accelerating either. Granted, this may also be due to a jetting issue, but a little extra oomph would be nice for those steep climbs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is your DRZ bone stock? Have you done any mods to it yet? You can gain some power and a LOT of throttle response simply by doing the 3x3 airbox mod and rejetting. Better yet add a fully exhaust system like the Yosh (about 400-500 online) to really wake it up.

Another bolt-on mod would be the FCR-MX carb swap. Also works very well with the 3x3 and full exhaust.

Beyond that, it gets more expensive... big bores, cams, etc. But if you haven't done the basics first, do that, you may find it's enough of an improvement right there without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
193 Posts

Someone like Mark Burkhart could probably spank 99.99% of all of us on a tarded TTR125. Should we all be riding those instead? :rolleyes:

If you truly think the only place big HP makes a difference is on the straights, you obviously don't know much about riding in general.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Someone like Mark Burkhart could probably spank 99.99% of all of us on a tarded TTR125. Should we all be riding those instead? :rolleyes:

If you truly think the only place big HP makes a difference is on the straights, you obviously don't know much about riding in general.

Nope, don't know much. I've been riding for 31 years, won a WERA

championship in my one and only year of trying, and currently have

3 bikes. So ya I'm clueless. I also happen to live in the WNC mountains.

Lots of guys up here have DRZs.

I've been spanked by guys on clapped out 15 year old GS500s, and

I've spanked R1s at the Gap on an MZ Baghira. It's 90% rider.

Up here, massive HP doesn't do you any good except on the straights.

I never said we should all ride minis, but what you've got is probably

good enough. I'd hate to see someone drop big $$ on a big bore kit

and find they're actually slower through corners.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I really don't see what all the discussion is about. The man says he wants more power out of his drz... so it's simple; upgrade the dizzer or get a bike with more oomph.
I'd certainly be sure you already did the full yosh, correct jetting with a fcr and the 3x3 mod before doing the big bore though.

You can tell him to just ride better and disagree with how he feels about his bike, but it's like telling your wife "you shouldn't be pissed, because x..y..z". Not gonna win that one either.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hi guy i wish to big bore my drz so either than the 450kit is there any bigger size than that hear about the 490 but dont know where to look for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts