SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 06 560smr that's been converted to street use. Has 850 miles/16.5 hours. The guy I bought it from rode it to the dragon, that's where the miles came from...never raced it. It had a 15front 38rear sprocket, which I hate because you damn near have to slip it to get it moving in first and doesn't really wan t to bring the front end up unless i make it. All the things I read about this thing is that it's a wheelie monster, which is a good thing :D. I put the 13t front on it from my 450 excr but it still doesn't really want to pick the front up. Contimplating putting the 45 on the rear with a 15 front...questions are will it be the wheelie monster it should be with a 15/45 and would it hurt with that gear to sustain 75-80 mph on the highway with that? Also, how often am I suppose to adjust the valves and do the oil changes if I am using synthetic? I've also heard that the motors don't like "staying at high speeds" but, can't get an answer on what "high speeds" are. Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Just picked up a 06 560smr that's been converted to street use. Has 850 miles/16.5 hours. The guy I bought it from rode it to the dragon, that's where the miles came from...never raced it. It had a 15front 38rear sprocket, which I hate because you damn near have to slip it to get it moving in first and doesn't really wan t to bring the front end up unless i make it. All the things I read about this thing is that it's a wheelie monster, which is a good thing :D. I put the 13t front on it from my 450 excr but it still doesn't really want to pick the front up. Contimplating putting the 45 on the rear with a 15 front...questions are will it be the wheelie monster it should be with a 15/45 and would it hurt with that gear to sustain 75-80 mph on the highway with that? Also, how often am I suppose to adjust the valves and do the oil changes if I am using synthetic? I've also heard that the motors don't like "staying at high speeds" but, can't get an answer on what "high speeds" are. Thanks
Steve
I road raced with gearing and no problem on starts, but i never used it on the street

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
high speed sustained at 60 or more......not too good......u can do it for a little while maybe a mile or so but that's all i would do

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Road raced with the 15/45 gearing?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Did the previous owner set the suspension up for street use? If you stiffen up the rear end it will pick-up the front better. If the suspension is set up soft it transfers weight and makes it squat and stick to the ground. The 560's DO NOT like sustained high RPM's. problem is the cranks begin to flex and take out the crank bearings if they do not have enough axial free play. Ths stock factory specs are just too tight to run them at the track or highway at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how he set the suspension up...I know it's ALOT stiffer than my 450 excr. On the highway bit, Backroads with varying speeds are ok over 70but staying 75-80 on the highway for a period is no bueno, correct?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if there is something wrong with mine then? How often are you suppose to do valve adjustments?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I dont what kind a ratio tranny the 560SMR has.......but my EXC with the wide ratio is a beast with 14/42(or45) on the street. I bump the front up to 15 for road tracks.....but it sucks with the 15 on the street.....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a close ratio tranny...alot closer than my 450 excr

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have stock gearing on my 560 (14 45) but am looking to gear a little taller soon. The way it is, 1st gear wont keep the front wheel on the ground if youre on the gas, 2nd will come up willingly and 3rd wants some clutch action... With my giant self (6' 2" 240) on it, it will still pull 95 mph at 8k rpm. Ive done 10 or so miles of highway cruising at 70 or so with no problems, but its just not fun on a motard... Im a little dissapointed with the power of mine now that im used to it, and cant help but wish for more power. A 613 kit may come soon. :bike: As far as valve adjustments, i think its a matter of personal opinion. I change my oil every every 200 miles, filters every 400 miles and think ill check the valves every 800-1000 miles... someone correct me if that sounds unreasonable. Im actually going to try my first valve adjust job today because the ol' 560 is beginning to start a little harder than usual.

Justin

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I hope it is just the gearing and not a issue with the bike. I would think that the little (38t) gear in the back would hinder wheelies...I'm prob gonna go with the 15-45 at first, then play with it from there. Not looking for Oh my god power, the 1098 is for that on the track, but I am looking for wheelies, mountain fun, and shit eating grins.....hopefully this will do that I'm 6' 200 myself

1 - 12 of 12 Posts