SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rebuilding my KTM 625 SMC. And while it is apart, I am considering getting a new/ Better headlight for it. About a year ago, I purchased the Acerbis LED Vision headlight, I thought it looked sweet (and it does) and the two panels of 10 LED's on either side were pretty badass, until the leads to the circuit board's they are mounted in snapped off :damn: Also, the two tiny little MR11 bulbs that are the main lamps are all but F*cking useless as far as actually lighting up the road in front of you :damn:

Needless to say, I tossed that $140 mistake of a purchase on my junk bench in the garage and went back to the stock headlight for my SMC. The Stocker does a pretty good job of lighting up the road, but IMO it is ugly and doesn't flow well with the style of the bike.

Which brings me to my main point:
I am currently looking at buying the Trail Tech Torch X2 Halogen headlight from ktm-parts.com.

What I need to know is this: there seem to be several versions of this light available, and I need to know what the differences are between them. I am not interested in the HID model, I don't want to spend that much. I am looking at the two halogen models at the lower end of the price spectrum.

The first:
http://www.ktm-parts.com/36T3A70.html

The second:
http://www.ktm-parts.com/36T370.html

From what I have read on the site, there seem to be no differences at all between the two other than the price, $99.95 vs $79.95, and the fact that one of them has "KTM" in the title...

Would I be correct in assuming that the only difference is that the one labeled "KTM" has a factory connector already wired in for "plug-n-play" installation?:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Or.... you could do what i just did and order up a stock headlight off of a 2010 EXC, very attractive light, has high and low beam and produces quite a bit of light. i payed $100 for the light at my local ktm shop :thumbup: and its plug and play

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:hmmm:Hmmm, Do you have a part number?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or.... you could do what i just did and order up a stock headlight off of a 2010 EXC, very attractive light, has high and low beam and produces quite a bit of light. i payed $100 for the light at my local ktm shop :thumbup: and its plug and play
I think you are talking about this one:
http://www.ktm-parts.com/78014001044.html

I don't think I'm gonna go for that, it's $98.96 vs the Trail tech X2 for $71.96, and the EXC headlight won't mate up with my supermoto fender like the X2 will.

I don't care about plug and play, I worked as an electrician's apprentice for a few years, and I have wired so many car-audio systems I couldn't even count them if I tried.... point being, I am not afraid of a little wiring for a headlight, and If I can save $20 or so buy getting the X2 without the plug-and-play connector, then that's what I'll probably do...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just ordered the X2 halogen.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yep thats the one indeed. I just like the look of that one alot, and its still ktm so i'm a sucker for easy :D

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No i just mounted it on my 560 thou, had to shave off the 2 posts that come down and i also cut 2 small pieces off to make it fit perfect, probably same thing would be required to throw it on a DRZ

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know you already ordered but the difference in the two lights is the more expensive one is DOT approved and will throw better light for on road applications. I have the cheaper non DOT x2 on my Husky, it's ok. I think it works better as an offroad light though.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I know you already ordered but the difference in the two lights is the more expensive one is DOT approved and will throw better light for on road applications. I have the cheaper non DOT x2 on my Husky, it's ok. I think it works better as an offroad light though.
:damn:
Thanks for the info... Now I'm gonna have to see if I can change my order:headshake

·
Registered
37 Posts
Both of those lights above are the exact same except one has the KTM specific connector/wires.

The DOT compliant (but still not DOT approved FYI) version that cbreakin is speaking of is the X2 Torch Halogen Dual Sport. It uses different reflectors as seen below.

Both versions are available from Trail Tech in universal and KTM specific wiring.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Shifty Jesus!
by the way, does the Dual Sport model come with the clear rock-guard as well?
I noticed it is not shown in the picture you posted:headscrat

I hope I can get this all sorted out with KTM-parts.com...

I really need a new headlight that does a better job of lighting up the road than what I have now:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I just spent some time reading through the info on Trail Tech's website, and from what I can tell, the light output is apparently the same for the DOT and non-DOT lights, just the the DOT compliant one uses a clipped beam reflector for the low beam so as not to offend or blind oncoming drivers in the opposite lane.

This is a relief. I think I'll be ok with the one I had originally ordered, if that's what it comes down to.

The ellipsoid projector lens of the DOT version does look cool, but according to Trail tech's website, it is not compatible with the clear plastic rock-guard.

I still have not heard back from KTM-parts.com, so we will see what ends up happening. Hopefully everything works out.

Now I just have to worry about actually getting my engine rebuilt so I can ride the F*cking thing!

Anyone know of a good shop in the PA/DE/MD area that does work on KTM's? :headscrat

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have gotten everything straightened out with the helpful guys at KTM-parts.com:bannana:

They are changing my order for a X2 Dual sport headlight:D

I love that company! their customer support system is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with, and they always give 100% to make sure that you as a customer are completely satisfied.

Big:thumbup: to KTM-Parts.com!:clap:

I will let you guys here at SMJ know what my opinions are of this headlight once I get it installed and run it a few times at night.

I have high hopes that this will be the last headlight I need for my SMC *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know this is an old thread, I found it in a link on another thread.

Do you have any pics of your setup? How does the headlight mount up?

I'd love to see some pics of 625SMC headlight options. I was thinking about the acerbis sumo front fender and a newer KTM headlight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts