SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I am brand new to this site (signed up for membership 4 mins ago to be exact), and I recently bought a 1990 Suzuki dr350s. The bike will not start, but the guy said that it ran before he put it into storage. I was thinking that an easy carb cleaning would fix the problem. I cleaned the carb yesterday, and it wtill will not crank. It has a pretty thick spark. Is there any knowledge you guys have from this bike? If so, please share because i'm just before taking it to a suzuki dealership and getting ripped off by their prices lol thanks and any help will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
724 Posts
how long was it in storage?
is it electric or kick start?

make sure it has good fresh gas, a new plug is cheap and you should do it anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drained the tank, flushed it out, then filled it back up with 93 octane fuel. As far as the plug goes, I put a brand new one in there, kicked it a few times after i put the carb back on, then took the plug out and put another new one in it (i'm coming from a 2-stroke bike, so i'm used to fouling plugs, lol) no, it is only kickstart unfortunately. Also, is there a good website that I can find parts for this bike? preferrably aftermarket, but oem will do.

·
Registered
724 Posts
starting fluid helps sometimes on things coming out of storage. i would just kick away at it for sometime and it will most likely come around, but i bet you already did that.... so i think i'm tapped out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks man, I'm gonna check the compression in it just to make sure that i'm not wasting my time... don't know of a website for parts though, eh?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had one of these back in the day. Thing was great but sand dunes made me switch out to a kx. Anyhow, my brother and I had matching DR's. His was an S model and mine was just a DR. If the carbs are clean and at the appropriate setting, it is all just about getting the engine on the compression stroke when kicking it and dont give it any throttle. Choke it, cycle it a few times with the compression release lever pulled, find the compression stroke and give it hell. Mine always started by the third kick but I can vividly remember my brother kicking his bike til the arch of his foot was bruised. Some people just cant get the hang of it. I would have to start it for him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts