Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 09DRZSM

Votes: 11 68.8%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been lurking the SMJ forums for a little while and finally have something to say. Ive been on the market for a DRZSM...Im in NY and two are on CL that really have my interest. I've spoken to both sellers and Im looking to take one by the weekend.
Both are $4200. Please give some advice of which to buy and why. Overpriced? Im noobish to DRZ's but not to mcycles. So please give me some insight to the mods too.

1st is a 07drzsm
5400 miles 4 owners
full MRD exhaust
39mm carb
3x3 air box mod
Avon tires

Versus the contender

09 drzsm
900 miles 1 owner
jetted
upgraded to larger battery
3x3 air box mod

help me get a drzsm! thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
$4k sounds about right in line with the prices I've seen recently.

I don't know that I would trust 4 owners since '07... not too many miles on it though, makes you wonder.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Prices are alright, basically comes down to what you want out of the bike. The first one has the MRD and FCR which is about $900 all together plus the headache of squeezing the carb in there lol. 5400 miles on a drz is next to nothing, but 900 miles really is nothing. I say go with option one. I didn't realize how much the exhaust and carb really changed the power of the bike until I rode another stock one, and man am I glad I pulled the trigger on those mods. Ride both, see if the extra mileage is worth the improved power and throttle response. With some work to the brakes and better-suited tires (the Avons are alright in the dirt but unless your running dirt and gravel a lot I'd get something like the continentals) you'd have a killer street setup.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments and please keep them coming! 4 owners in a short time is interesting. Any advice what I should quiz the seller on before buying? His reason for selling is he wants a larger street bike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It depends on what you value more, your money or the history of your bike.

Not to say the 1st bike was used and abused, but with performance upgrades it was probably ridden harder than the near stock one.

I bought mine bone stock with 2k miles. All the after market parts were expensive, but I know exactly how much abuse the bikes gone through. Because I've been the one doing it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Go ride option one. If it runs smooth and has no signs of being dropped or poorly maintained, take it. There is no difference between the 07 and 09, other then then the color of the plastics and the tank. You will never miss the difference in the miles between the two. DRZ last awhile if properly kept up.

As mentioned earlier, option one has some $$ invested already with the FCR and MRD. All you will need is big bore and cams, then you will have 45 to 50 hp to play with.

Welcome to the darkside! :D

Oh yea, your next purchase will be a go pro to show us more of New York while on one wheel! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Definitely #1, unless the MRD is too loud for you. Oh, and fyi- I have over 20k miles on my 4th DR-Z and climbing fast. 5200 isn't anything to worry about.

·
Registered
266 Posts
5k miles and 4 owners vs 900 miles and original owner... is this a trick question??? LOL. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heres an update guys. Im going to look at the 07 tomorrow. There are upgrades I would be looking to do anyhow. The 'Mod' money Im now viewing as just in case for repairs. So tomorrow, If I like it I am taking it. Either way, you guys will be getting an update....and otherwise, the 09 will be mine. Im definitely grabbing one by the weekend!...hopefully! lol All advice appreciated :D:D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok Thumpers! Took off today to go look at the 07. Rode it....and well I liked it....and I bought it. Seller had all documents for mods and oil changes done at suzuki. No original parts but whatever. I am so far past being pleased. It slightly swayed my decision but The 09 seller was not the easiest to communicate with. Thanks for all the comments and votes in the poll.

Here she is.

!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts