SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the twist, im 16 going on 17 and within the next few months i need to make my first decision, wr450 strip it down and get it powder coated (probably older model) etc rebuild the thing... or buy a used drz400. Heres a little info about me, i race motocross, have a 07 yz250f, im 135 pounds and the tard will be used on street ONLY and be rode in spring and summer as a daily driver, but im also probably going to be reallly hard on it knowing me. Since i have been around mx bikes and motocross, rebuilding theme etc, im used to checking valves, oil changes etc, but major thing is i dont want to be rebuilding this thing every month due to the piston and cylinder being wore out. Im just very skeptical on this and knowing that the drz holds double the oil etc and is more designed from the factory for street use. And then also the clutch... will it be able to handle dropping the clutch and getting pounded on or will the plates get burned up and the basket get grooved up like a mofo within 300 miles. Now lets be realistic, im simply saying i dont want to be dumping money into it every week because it is getting damaged From being rode on the street. I know in other countries they have street legal versions out of the box. Im basically 50/50 minded although leading toward the wr450 because it has more power and comes with a fcr carb which is a must have and ik i can buy one for the drz but still, seems like id have to dump in the equal amount of work in each one to suit my taste, so id love to hear from you guys and what you guys ride, pros and cons letem rippppp

·
Registered
117 Posts
I say go for the WR. You really can't go wrong. More power, basically the same maintenance, and the best of all it's a Yamaha. This is the opinion of a guy who has never owned anything but Yamahas except for my custom built hardtail sportster. I'm not knocking a Suzuki, I just think Yamahas are better. Any bike is going to sustain some injuries if you beat on it hard enough, but that depends on you. I personally have a 06 WR450 plated sumo and absolutely love it. I too have come through the ranks on motocross and give my tard hell on a regular basis and knock on wood has never let me down. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
My Dad's WR450 Tard had 45K on it before he had to rebuild it.
He rides it hard for an old man but he did take good care of it.
Dirt, sand, street, it saw it all and held up well.
I'd buy one..

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
my drz has 30k on it of hard riding without having to open the motor up. I pull the oem clutch out and measure it every couple years but its still in spec and feels fine. Power wise(now) my bike is as fast as a wr426/450 but it is heavier and not as good off road. If you are going for an older WR it will be kick only. I like having the Ebutton riding on the street. Especially once the bike is warm:)

The drz(unless you build a monster motor) will never feel like an MX bike on the street. You can gear it super low and get that feeling, but then you struggle to cruise at 50mph. You could start with a kick or E model drz and have the FCR carb already. The kick model was 250lbs and the E model was around 280. S/Sm models are over 300lbs and about 10-15hp less than a kick/E model factory. Basically for a drz to be equivalent to an uncorked WR you would need exhaust, cams, carb, airbox work, more compression and a diet. Everyone says the maint schedule of the WR is the same as the DRZ but its not. The WR is great and low maint compared to other options, but you wont go 30k miles without a rebuild and not be burning oil. The motor just wasnt built for that because its based on the MX450.

Most fun out of the box would be an uncorked WR. Most fun on the trails, WR will out perform the DRZ. The drz handles poor of road compared to a real trail bike.

So yes if we compare out of the box options the WR wins. If you can pick up a cheap DRZ, especially a Kick model, you wont be upset either. the place where it really makes a difference is off road. a modded drz and a wr on the street will both be just as much fun. with the extra weight of the drz you might even feel a little more stable:)

If I had to choose one or the other, even having owned a DRZ for 10 years now, i would probably go the WR route simply because i dont ride much on the street anymore and i would prefer a bike that handles better offroad for trails.

·
Registered
601 Posts
WR hands down. I put 5000+ miles on my WR426 commuting with it 5-6 days a week. The majority of that is HWY miles at 70mph. Runs like a champ!!! I also have a handful of off-road miles on it, from dunes, to trails, dual sporting. The WR does it all VERY well, and is not a maintenance hog. I change my oil every 1500-2000 miles and the oil still looks good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts